The module will provide an introduction to theories of leadership, leadership in the field of education, teacher instructional leadership for capacity building and leadership for learning to sustain school improvement.
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Critically assess contemporary issues emerging in the area of educational leadership
- Communicate your own ideas and arguments effectively in written and oral forms.
- Engage with high quality research in the area of educational leadership and management
- Apply theories and models of leadership to a variety of educational contexts and practices
- Appreciate the role of attitudes, values and social and cultural influences in leadership
- Critically reflect on your own leadership practices.
- Apply theories and models to a variety of educational settings and contexts
- Analyse the role of the leader in the processes of organisational change and development
- Appreciate existing theories and models of leadership
- Critically examine how such theories influence specific leadership processes adopted within an institution or organisation
- Evaluate the main theories of leadership
- Critically reflect on your own leadership skills and experience and/or those demonstrated in a context/individual with which you are familiar
Theories of leadership including: hierarchical, distributed, contingency, authentic, situational, transformational. Understanding organisational change and development.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures, workshops (including those with common institutional and cross institutional focus), seminars, small group tutorials.
|Preparation for scheduled sessions||12|
|Completion of assessment task||80|
|Wider reading or practice||60|
|Total study time||200|
Resources & Reading list
Defining the Effects of Transformational Leadership on Organisational Learning: across-cultural comparison. School Leadership & Management, 22(4), pp. 439-452.
Distributed Leadership. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
Leadership and Management in Education: Cultures, Change, and Context. Oxford: OUP.
Organizational culture and leadership. San Fransisco, CA, USA: Jossey-Bass.
Distributed Leadership in Higher Education: Rhetoric and Reality.. Educational Management, Administration and Leadership.
Handbook of Instructional Leadership: How Successful Principals Promote Teaching and Learning.
Understanding College and University Organization. Sterling: Va: Stylus.
Learning to Read Critically in Educational Leadership and Management. London: Sage.
The Moral Imperative of School Leadership. Thousand Oaks, CA, USA: Corwin Press.
The Essentials of School Leadership. London: Sage.
The Principles of Education Leadership & Management. London: Sage.
Understanding Systems Leadership: Securing Excellence and Equity in Education (Continuum).
Sustainable Leadership. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
Repeat type: Internal & External