As you progress to more senior roles in your school or educational institution there is a need to develop your skills and knowledge in the area of management. In this module you will focus on understanding the principles of management, applying these to education and exploring the management challenges facing senior staff in education institutions.
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Critically evaluate the relationship between organisational structure and governance, human resource management, decision making and strategic planning for institutional development
- Critically evaluate your own work skills, practices, and development
- Demonstrate understanding of the role and impact of Professional Learning Communities on teaching practice and student learning.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the core principles of management theories and research in education organisations, and examine the applicability of core management practices to educational institutions
- Apply relevant theories to continuing professional development
- Develop an understanding on school improvement management metrics at the level of the Local Authority / School Board
- Locate and synthesize information from a range of academic and practitioner literature
The content of the module will typically cover:
- Principles of management theories and their application to education
- Understanding organizational structures and governance in education
- Managing people & Human Resource Management
- Examining the concepts of strategy, planning, decision-making in education organisations
- Developing metrics for school management
- Exploring the role of Professional Learning Communities
- Examining Continuing Professional Development, Mentoring & Coaching and their impact upon staff development.
Learning and Teaching
|Wider reading or practice||50|
|Completion of assessment task||70|
|Preparation for scheduled sessions||36|
|Total study time||201.3|
Resources & Reading list
Additional Information. Also during each lesson you will be directed to related readings from other textbooks and journal articles to enhance and extend your understanding of the topics under discussion. All of these resources will be available electronically via the University's library
Bush, T. (2011). Theories of Educational Leadership & Management. London: SAGE.
Jones, J. (2014). Management Skills in Schools. London: SAGE.
Bess, J.,L., & Dee, J.R. (2012). Understanding College and University Organization. Sterling, Va: Stylus.
Write a 4000-word assignment on a topic related to the Management of Education Organisations wherein you will be expected to examine critically the theoretical, empirical and professional literature in the area.
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
An internal repeat is where you take all of your modules again, including any you passed. An external repeat is where you only re-take the modules you failed.
Repeat type: Internal & External