As you progress to more senior roles in your school or educational institution there is a need to develop your skills and knowledge in the area of management. In this module you will focus on understanding the principles of management, applying these to education and the exploring the management challenges facing senior staff in education institutions.
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the concept of culture within educational organisations
- Critically evaluate your own work skills, practices, and development
- Locate and synthesize information from a range of academic and practitioner literature
- Critically evaluate the relationship between organisational structure and governance, human resource management, decision making and strategic planning for institutional development
- Develop an understanding on school improvement management metrics at the level of the Local Authority / School Board
- Apply relevant theories to continuing professional development
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the core principles of management theories and research in education organisations, and examine the applicability of core management practices to educational institutions
The content of the module will typically cover:
- Principles of management theories and their application to education
- Understanding organizational structures and governance in education
- Managing people & Human Resource Management
- Unpacking the notion of culture in education
- Examining the concepts of strategy, planning, decision-making in education organisations
- Developing metrics for school management: looking at pupil attainment and student diversity at the level of the Local Authority / School Board
- Exploring Continuing Professional Development
Learning and Teaching
|Preparation for scheduled sessions||36|
|Wider reading or practice||50|
|Completion of assessment task||70|
|Total study time||200|
Resources & Reading list
Additional Information. Also during each lesson you will be directed to related readings from other textbooks and journal articles to enhance and extend your understanding of the topics under discussion. All of these resources will be available electronically via the University's library
Jones, J. (2014). Management Skills in Schools. London: SAGE.
Everard, K. B., Morris, G., & Wilson, I. (2004). Effective School Management. London: SAGE Publications Inc. (US).
Bess, J.,L., & Dee, J.R. (2012). Understanding College and University Organization. Sterling, Va: Stylus.
Bush, T. (2011). Theories of Educational Leadership & Management. London: SAGE.
Write a 4000-word assignment on a topic related to the Management of Education Organisations wherein you will be expected to examine critically the theoretical, empirical and professional literature in the area.
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
Repeat type: Internal & External