This is a practical module which requires students to evidence their teaching experience and development. Students are required to learn from more experienced colleagues, from their mentors and Teaching Observers and from their own personal reflection. The module runs throughout the PGCE programme. A portfolio of evidence and a reflective practice assignment is developed over that duration and is submitted at the conclusion of the programme.
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Develop action plans and targets for your professional development which are regularly monitored and updated.
- Identify, analyse, discuss and evaluate components of good and outstanding teaching.
- Develop the Reflective Practice skills of the learner to allow them to reflect upon and evaluate their own performance and progress.
- Demonstrate ability to plan and manage the learning process using an appropriate range of inclusive teaching and learning strategies.
- Differentiate where appropriate between learners and develop suitable learning interactions to meet the needs of all.
- Use a range of data to reflect upon, analyse and plan future practice.
- Demonstrate appropriate subject specific knowledge.
- Challenge and stretch learners to maximise their development
- Analyse how they meet the professional standards.
- Demonstrate your ability to ensure the health, safety and well-being of learners in the learning environment.
- Demonstrate teaching competences to a range of learners.
- Evaluate the success of individual learning sessions.
The student will learn the theories associated with good teaching and learning in professional development contexts. They will develop the range of their teaching skills and become progressively more innovative and independent in the classroom. As they progress, students will be required to reflect on their style and role as a teacher and how they might continue to develop.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
Trainees will teach peers in a classroom situation. They will plan, prepare, build resources, teach lessons, reflect on their practice and react to observations from peers and tutors. All the trainees will receive regular feedback with personalised targets set to improve practice. The Teaching and Learning methods will be personalised to support each trainee's individual needs and requirements using whole class, lecture, discussion, seminar groups, peer learning sets and self-directed study. All trainees will then continue their development in their own workplace and in their first in-service teaching role, whilst receiving support from more experienced practitioners, mentors, subject specialists and University teaching staff.
|Total study time||150|
Resources & Reading list
Aubrey, K & Riley, A (2017). Understanding and Using Educational Theories. London: Sage.
Hendrick, C & Macpheson, R (2017). What does this look like in the classroom?. Woodbridge: John Catt.
Gravells, A (2011). Preparing to teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector. Exeter: Learning Matters.
Fairclough, M (2008). Supporting Learners in the Lifelong Learning Sector. Maidenhead: Open Press University.
Duckworth, A (2017). The Power of Passion & Perseverance. London: Vermillian.
Clarke, A (2011). How to use technology effectively in Post Compulsory Education. London: Routledge.
Armitage, A. et al (2012). Teaching and Training in Life-long learning. Maidenhead: Open University Press.
Fry, H et al. (2014). Teaching and Learning in Higher Education: Enhancing Academic Practice.
Portfolio must be passed for successful completion of the programme.
Reflective Assignment must score 50% or more.
100% of module mark is from assignment
This is how we’ll give you feedback as you are learning. It is not a formal test or exam.Assignment Observation and evaluation
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
An internal repeat is where you take all of your modules again, including any you passed. An external repeat is where you only re-take the modules you failed.
Repeat type: Internal & External