As you progress to more senior roles in your school or educational institution there is a need to develop your skills and knowledge in the area of leadership and management. In this module you will focus on the principles of leadership and management and the challenges facing those tasked with leadership roles in education.
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Appreciate the influence of structures, cultures and decision-making processes on organisations
- Evaluate the main theories of management and the role of the leader and manager in the processes of organisational change and development
- Understand and appraise the applicability of basic concepts of organisational theory to educational institutions
- Critically assess major emerging issues for management and governance of educational institutions
The content of the module will typically cover:
- Application of management and leadership principles to education
- Organisational structures, designs and governance in education
- Understanding how individuals work in education organisations
- Theories of decision making and planning in education management
- Approaches to managing conflict in organisations
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
This module is taught entirely online. A typical 'lesson' would include:
- Lectures - delivered live via the university's web conferencing system (Adobe Connect) or as pre-prepared videos
- Lecture notes - written by the module tutors
- Selected readings - from the prescribed core texts
- Written tasks - submitted via private blogs or discussion forums
- Online activities - such as quizzes and tests
- Individual and Group tutorials - via Skype (individual) or Adobe Connect (groups)
|Practical classes and workshops||6|
|Completion of assessment task||60|
|Preparation for scheduled sessions||18|
|Wider reading or practice||50|
|Total study time||200|
Resources & Reading list
Extra Reading. During each lesson you will be directed to related readings from other textbooks and journal articles to enhance and extend your understanding of the topics under discussion. All of these resources will be available electronically via the University's library.
Bush, T. (2003). Theories of educational leadership and management. (Core Textbook). Sage.
Bush, T., & Middlewood, D. (2013). Leading and managing people in education. (Core Textbook). Sage.
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
Repeat type: Internal & External