This module introduces you to the history of art through the collections of the Southampton City Art Gallery (SCAG). As part of the module, you will curate an art exhibition at SCAG which will be open to the public.
Aims and Objectives
Knowledge and Understanding
Having successfully completed this module, you will be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of:
- Changing concepts of the self.
- British art history from 1600 to the present.
- Reflect on contemporary attitudes towards self-fashioning, identifying how social media has evolved from earlier technologies of representation.
- Consider how visual media are used to represent selfhood.
Transferable and Generic Skills
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Draw connections between traditional art history and social history.
- Gather a range of historical images, identifying the stylistic and other design features, tropes and patterns which help art historians attribute and date individual works of art.
Indicative topics include:
the history of British art
exploring the City Art Gallery's holdings
selecting an exhibition theme
researching an artwork
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
"Looking through drawing" in City Art Gallery
Tour of City Art Gallery exhibition.
Visits to City Art Gallery collection store.
Museum label-writing workshop.
Group work on exhibition planning.
Independent reading and research for essays.
Individual consultations with module convenor.
|Completion of assessment task
|Wider reading or practice
|Preparation for scheduled sessions
|Total study time
Resources & Reading list
This is how we’ll give you feedback as you are learning. It is not a formal test or exam.Essay Written assignment Written assignment
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
An internal repeat is where you take all of your modules again, including any you passed. An external repeat is where you only re-take the modules you failed.
Repeat type: Internal