This module focuses on organisational behaviour, and the coordination of organisations to improve health and social care outcomes. The module is divided into five topics that align with the learning outcomes.
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Understand the importance of organisational culture, as well as its antecedents and consequences
- Understand the management, governance and roles of data, information, and knowledge in strategy development and management
- Evaluate approaches to organisational change and recognise the role of strategic leadership
- Critically evaluate managerial decision making and managerial judgement in complex settings
- Understand and evaluate key approaches to leading healthcare organisations, including collaborative leadership and systems leadership
- Understanding current issues facing leaders in health and social care including cross-boundary working
- Key leadership approaches to healthcare organisations (including the role of the Board, distributed leadership, compassionate leadership, and systems leadership)
- Managing organisational culture
- Managerial judgement and decision making in complex settings
- Knowledge and information management in complex settings
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
Typically, we will organise each session through guided problem-based learning. We will provide trigger material—for example, a case study, a video of an interview, an individual who presents a problem to the class—and students will work either individually or in a group to find a solution to the problem. These solutions will then be shared in class, and further guidance—most often in the form of a lecture or a guided discussion—will surface facts and principles related to managing and leading across organisational settings.
|Total study time||250|
Resources & Reading list
Woods, S. A., & West, M. A. (2019). The Psychology of Work and Organizations. Andover: Cenage.
Walshe, K. & Smith, J. (2016). Healthcare Management. London: Open University Press.
Britnell, M. (2019). Human: Solving the Global Workforce Crisis in Healthcare. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
West, M. A. (2021). Compassionate Leadership: Sustaining Wisdom, Humanity and Presence in Health and Social Care. Cardiff: HEIW/Swirling Leaf Press.
Curtis, E. A., Beirne, M., Cullen, J. G., Northway, R., & Corrigan, S. (2021). Distributed Leadership in Nursing and Healthcare: Theory, Evidence and Development. London: McGraw Hill.
Robbins, S. P., & Judge, T. A. (2014). Organizational Behavior: Global Edition. London: Pearson.
This is how we’ll give you feedback as you are learning. It is not a formal test or exam.Class discussions
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
Repeat type: Internal & External