A module in which students will learn the basis of sustainable ship design whilst considering the economic and safety implications. In parallel the students will undertake a preliminary ship design which will enhance their understanding of some design implications and result in a general arrangement drawing.
Pre-requisites: SESS1015 and FEEG1001
Aims and Objectives
Disciplinary Specific Learning Outcomes
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Interpret and apply statutory regulations and classification rules (C4, C8)
- Apply the methodology and tools used in the ship design process to synthesise a ship General Arrangement (G, A.), considering both safety and the human element. (C5, C6, C7, C10, C17)
- Estimate suitable dimensions for a new ship design to meet specified design requirements (C1, C3)
- Undertake initial stability and capacity checks and estimate the balance of masses of a ship design. (C3, C4)
- Apply design tools and synthesise information to assess economic and environmental viability of the ship design. (C1)
Knowledge and Understanding
Having successfully completed this module, you will be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of:
- Tools and methods used to create an economic and environmentally sustainable ship design. (C3)
- The need to integrate statutory and regulatory requirements into the ship design process and be aware of the human element and importance of inclusive design. (C8, C11)
- Safety and Risk analysis (C9)
- The basic tools and methodologies used in the ship design process. (C1 ,C2)
- Practical application of knowledge to create a viable Preliminary Ship Design and associated General Arrangement drawing (G.A.). (C6)
Lectures: 24 lectures on Ship Design and Economics.
- Introduction to ship design and operation.
- Safety considerations in ship design.
- Technical ship design.
- Economic and environmentally sustainable assessment of design solutions.
- Safety and risk analysis techniques.
- Human element considerations in design
Coursework: 24 contact hours. Preliminary Ship Design Study:
- Use ship design software to carry out various investigations illustrating technical design and economic aspects, together with simple optimisation studies.
- Complete a General Arrangement (G.A.) of a ship where you subdivide and layout a ship ensuring the design meets a given commercial requirement and statutory (including stability) and regulatory requirements.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
Teaching methods include
- Lectures supported by example sheets.
- Supervised design office sessions
Learning activities include:
- Individual work on ship calculations/examples.
- Individual work on using ship design software to carry out techno-economic and naval architecture calculations.
- Use of drafting software to showcase your design solution.
- Consideration of the human element in design
- Assessment of the sustainability of the design solution.
- Reading and applying Statutory and Regulatory requirements
- Development of skills in sharing information appropriately and succinctly.
- Directed reading/independent learning.
|Preparation for scheduled sessions||12|
|Practical classes and workshops||22|
|Completion of assessment task||44|
|Wider reading or practice||12|
|Total study time||150|
Resources & Reading list
Lloyds Rules and Regulations for classification of ships.
Various papers in the Transactions of RINA, NECIES and SNAME.
Typed lecture notes and presentation slides..
Various publications of manufacturers. such as engines, deck cranes, deck and mooring machinery and life lifeboats.
Statutory Regulations. MARPOL, SOLAS, FSS Code, Load Lines and Tonnage Measurement of Ships
International Labour Conference.. Maritime Labour Convention 2006
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
An internal repeat is where you take all of your modules again, including any you passed. An external repeat is where you only re-take the modules you failed.
Repeat type: Internal & External