Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Apply basic geochemical techniques to explain, interpret and predict common processes in Earth and ocean science.
- Understand fundamental processes in Earth and ocean science in a geochemical context.
- Recognise how an understanding of basic geochemical principles can increase our understanding of the Earth and ocean system.
- You will acquire the ability to solve applied quantitative geochemical problems.
- The ability to explain, interpret and predict common processes in Earth and ocean science in a geochemical context.
- Confidently describe common Earth and ocean science geochemical processes in a quantitative manner.
- The ability to apply basic geochemical techniques to studies of Earth and ocean science processes.
Earth and ocean science is a dynamic and diverse discipline concerned with describing, explaining and predicting processes both within and between the lithosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere. At its base are fundamental chemical, physical, biological and geological concepts and theories, expressed in both a qualitative and quantitative manner. Within this discipline, SOES2018 focuses on how chemistry and Earth science are combined and how the result of this combination can be used to understand the Earth and how it works.
A series of lectures will provide you with a comprehensive introduction to geochemistry and some interesting questions to think about while problem-based practical sessions will allow you to develop and explore your understanding and application of geochemical principles to common processes in Earth and ocean science. Practical work is for formative assessment only where the emphasis will be placed on your improved understanding of geochemistry rather than your weekly performance in the problem-based tasks.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures: ~40 x 15-20 minute lectures delivered to the whole class will provide a comprehensive introduction to geochemistry and familiarise you with the basic geochemical principles that are relevant to the study of Earth and ocean science. You will have frequent opportunity to ask questions.
Practical sessions: Each of the short lectures will be followed by a 30 minute group exercise to illustrate how basic geochemical techniques can be applied to explain, interpret and predict processes in Earth and ocean science.
A wide range of support is available for those students who have further or specific learning and teaching needs, including Panopto sessions of all the lecture content.
|Practical classes and workshops||33|
|Total study time||150|
Resources & Reading list
Laptop. The SOES lap tops are made available to students without their own lap tops during the practical sessions.
Formative assessment: The 30 minute group exercises will be an opportunity to cement your knowledge of the basic geochemical principles introduced in the lectures and practice applying geochemical techniques to interpret processes in Earth and ocean science. The exercises will be self-assessed during the sessions. Model answers will be posted on Blackboard for self assessment. Tests Learning Outcomes 1-7.
Theory examination (100%): A 2-hour written examination paper will test your understanding of common Earth and ocean science processes in a geochemical context and your ability to apply basic geochemical techniques to novel problems, rather than to test recall of factual information. Tests Learning Outcomes 1-7.
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
Repeat type: Internal & External