Before you Arrive – Checklist
Below is a rough timeline to the accommodation process, and at the bottom of the page is a checklist of things to make sure that you have done before you arrive.
- Apply for halls by August 1st- if you are a new student you must have applied for a place in halls by 1st August to be covered under the terms of the guarantee. You can apply via the website
For this you will need your student ID number which you should have received with your offer of study. If you have not received this, please contact your faculty of study here at the University. A comprehensive guide to making an application can be seen in the bar to the right.
- If you are covered by the guarantee, you will normally receive an offer of accommodation within 2 weeks of gaining an unconditional place at the University. This is at the same time that A level results are released.
- You have 7 days to accept the offer of accommodation from the date that you receive it. There is a comprehensive guide to accepting the accommodation offer in the bar to the right. Failure to accept your offer of accommodation within 7 days will result in your offer being withdrawn, and your room being offered to another student. This applies to both insurance students and those covered by the guarantee.
- You will be sent a fast check-in letter before your arrival. This letter allows you to retrieve your key and has the parking permit which allows you to park. It is therefore essential that you print this off and bring it with you when you move in.
- Arrivals weekend is on the Saturday 19th September and Sunday 20th September 2015. For full details, see when should I arrive? You will need to book your arrival time at the halls of residence. If you cannot arrive at these times, please see arriving early or late.
- If you are a current student and wish to continue living in Halls of Residence next year, you must apply by 2nd February for a place. Please check the applying for halls website to keep updated about applying for accommodation for the 2015/2016 session.
- You must move out of Halls at the end of the academic year by the time your contract finishes. For the majority of people this will be on the 1st July, however some contracts finish later (e.g. 17th September), and some finish earlier (e.g. 20th June). Please ensure that you know when your contract finishes, and that you are ready to move out before it expires.
Here is a checklist of some of the things that you should be aware of before you move into your Halls of Residence.
- Make sure you have visited www.southampton.ac.uk/areyouready to ensure you have completed all the pre-arrival steps that are required before you arrive.
- How you get to Southampton and your Halls of Residence in Southampton. Full directions to Southampton and Winchester Halls can be found under the Arrivals page
- When should I arrive? See When should I arrive? for more information. You will also need to book your arrival time for your hall of residence.
- Have you applied and secured your student finance (student loan) for next year. If not see the Student Finance Website.
- Have you got a passport sized photo of yourself with your name and date of birth clearly printed on the back. This is needed for important forms that you must fill in when you get to University.
- Contents insurance is included with your halls fees. See the full details on our fees page.
- Have you had Meningitis C and MMR vaccinations
- Set up a student bank account
- If entering the UK to study ensure the correct documentation can be presented to the Immigration Officer:
- Passport- make sure this is in date
- Entry clearance
- Evidence of funding or financial support
- Offer/Acceptance letter from the University of Southampton
Also remember when you move in that you will need a TV licence to watch live TV. For more information regarding TV Licensing, see the TV Licensing website.