About the Cable testing facility
We are very experienced in the testing of parent cable, joints and terminations and have developed facilities specifically for several bespoke electrical, thermal and mechanical tests.
In recent years we have tested a range of different designs of cable, including extruded polymeric, PILC, mass impregnated and fluid filled. Distribution cables, transmission cables, offshore wind array and export cables, HVDC cables, submarine fibre optic cables and neutrally buoyant cable systems have all been assessed.
Examples of the cable testing which TDHVL has performed in recent years include:
- AC and DC withstand tests
- lightning and switching impulse tests
- capacitance / tan delta
- partial discharge
- thermal cycling (including for the validation of cable thermal models)
- bending (transverse) and axial stiffness measurement
- exploratory fatigue testing (through repeated bending cycles), including subsequent forensic inspection.
- measurement of cable losses, including to determine measured losses in comparison to those obtained from IEC 60287
Where it becomes necessary to develop bespoke test programmes, or build new experimental rigs, our team are able to bring about the benefit of decades of accumulated experience to design an appropriate and cost-effective solution.
We also perform forensic investigation of cables and accessories that have failed in service - for more details please see forensics. This work has also been conducted for parties requiring an independent expert opinion.
We also perform forensic investigation of bushings that have failed in service - for more details please see Forensics.
If you are considering testing of a cable or accessory, please contact us and include the following information:
- the relevant section of a standard or details of the test schedule that you wish to have performed
- the type of cable (or cable accessory) as well as its operating voltage, design details and the likely test length
- if you will require access to the laboratory in order to prepare suitable test samples (apply terminations etc) on site
- your requirements with respect to reports
This activity is provided by the Tony Davies High Voltage Lab.