We take an interdisciplinary approach to research that draws on diverse sets of data, theories, empirics and eclectic methodologies (for example, archival, critical, empirical, normative, qualitative, quantitative and systematic literature reviews) from a wide range of disciplines, such as corporate governance, economics, history, law, management, organisational behaviour, political science, psychology and sociology.
Our research provides strong insights to different decision-makers: investors, regulators, policy makers and businesses in both developed and developing and Islamic economies.
Our research interests are diverse and encompass the investigation of broad and diversified sets of accounting issues that lead not only to publication in the leading journals, but also generate real world impact for wider society. In particular, our research interests include, but are not limited to:
- The role of accounting in development and sustainability, especially in developing, emerging and transition economies in comparison with developed economies
- Financial accounting, disclosure and reporting
- Auditing, including external/internal audit and control
- Corporate governance and executive pay
- Social and environmental accounting, including carbon and climate change accounting and finance, as well as accounting for the UN sustainable development goals
- Market-based accounting, banking and finance research
- Management accounting, control and performance
- Islamic accounting, finance and governance
- Interdisciplinary accounting
- Critical accounting
- Accounting in NGOs, non-profits, third and public sectors
- Accounting education and history
- Financial technology, economics and development
Our research has been published in world-class journals, such as Review of Accounting Studies, Leadership Quarterly, British Journal of Management, Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Management Studies, Journal of Business Venturing, Journal of World Business, Abacus, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, British Accounting Review, Business History, Corporate Governance: An International Review, Critical Perspectives on Accounting, European Accounting Review, Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, Journal of Business Ethics, Management Accounting Research, and The international Journal of Accounting, among many other leading journals.