Scholarships of £10,000 are available to international students studying for an arts and humanities:
- undergraduate degree
- postgraduate master’s degree
There are 40 scholarships available:
- 15 for undergraduates
- 25 for postgraduates
If you're awarded the scholarship, you get £10,000 off the tuition fees of:
- each year if it's awarded for undergraduate study (except any year you study abroad or spend in employment)
- the first year if it's awarded for postgraduate study
To be eligible for a scholarship you must:
- have an offer to study
- need to pay the overseas tuition fee
- exceed your course entry requirements
Applicants must have exceeded the academic requirement of their offer to study. If you’re an undergraduate applicant, and the entry requirement for your programme is A level grade ABB, you must achieve A level grade AAB or an equivalent qualification.
If you’re a postgraduate master’s applicant, and the entry requirement for your programme is a 2:1, you must achieve a 1st in your undergraduate studies or equivalent qualification.
You must not be in receipt of any external scholarship.
For applicants to postgraduate master’s programmes at Winchester School of Art that require a deposit, this must be paid before a scholarship offer is made.
You cannot apply if you are studying:
- on PGCert, PGDip, Foundation or PGR courses
- on Distance Learning courses
- with a partner institution
- at our campus in Malaysia
- on Study Abroad courses
- as an exchange or partner student
- on Continuing Professional Development (CPD) courses
- only pre-sessional English – pre-sessional English students with an offer to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level can still apply
Deadline to apply
Deadlines are the same for undergraduates and postgraduates.
You can apply from 26 October 2023 until 5pm (UK time) on 28 March 2024.
We will contact you by the 30 May 2024 to let you know the outcome of your application.
We cannot accept late applications. If your application is successful, you will receive confirmation in writing via email.
All scholarship offers are final.
How we award scholarships
Please note that this is a competitive process and not all applications will be successful.
There are 5 stages to the shortlisting process.
- We check that you meet the eligibility criteria, and score and rank your academic qualifications stated on your UCAS or Postgraduate application form.
- We shortlist candidates from across the world to recognise global talent and support a diverse university community, inclusive of applicants from Least Developed Countries, Low Income or Lower Middle Income countries.
- We shortlist candidates across both our School of Humanities and Winchester School of Art to recognise academic excellence in all subject areas.
- We score and rank the supporting statement you provide on your application form.
- A panel, chaired by the Dean of Arts and Humanities, or their nominated representative, will decide on who gets the scholarships.
The decision of the scholarship panel is final.
Conditions of getting the scholarship
Find out the conditions of getting a scholarship.
How to apply
In the application form, you will need to provide your personal details and the name of the course you will study. You will also need to answer questions about your:
- academic abilities
- future career ambitions
- genuine need for the scholarship and how this will support your ambition
- willingness to engage with the Southampton community
After applying, you will receive an automated notification confirming receipt of your submission.
For more information or help, email email@example.com.