Guarantee of Accommodation
The University offers a guarantee of accommodation in the halls of residence for the majority of new students starting at the University. The guarantee means that students will receive an offer of accommodation based on the information and preferences they have provided in their accommodation application.
Who is guaranteed accommodation?
- New undergraduate students - first year of study
- Non-EU international postgraduate students - first year of study
Non-EU international undergraduate students - full duration of studies
Pre-sessional EAP students
Under 18 students who have already turned 16
What is required to make sure that I am guaranteed accommodation?
- You are a full-time* registered undergraduate student or a non-EU international postgraduate student
- You need to have made Southampton either your Firm or Insurance choice of University
- New students must apply by the 1st August in the year their course will begin
- The application must be for single occupancy room, therefore you must be unaccompanied
What if I am not guaranteed accommodation?
Although we are not usually able to guarantee accommodation for the following students we encourage you to make an application and we will offer you based on availability. We also still offer guidance and support in finding alternative accommodation if required;
- UK, EU or Channel Island postgraduate students
- Visiting students, and Erasmus or other exchange students
- Students who come through clearing
- Couples and families (non single occupancy accommodation)
- Students who are under 16 when starting at the University (suitable family accommodation will be prioritised for you and your guardian)
*full-time, commencing a course in September/October and studying for a complete academic year and excluding students who are on exchange programmes.