Guarantee of Accommodation

The University offers more than 6000 places in over 20 halls of residence in several locations.

We offer all full-time registered* undergraduate and international postgraduate (see below for further details for postgraduate) students a place in accommodation during their first year of study, providing the following criteria are met:

  • You make Southampton your Firm or Insurance choice
  • Your residence application form is received by 1st August in the year in which your studies begin
  • You are unaccompanied, ie you do not bring any dependants, such as a partner and/or children

In years of exceptional demand, in order to meet our guarantee we may offer accommodation in a twin shared room at the start of the academic year for a short period. Some of the accommodation we offer is provided by Liberty Living, a private provider who offer high quality rooms at two Halls in Southampton - Liberty Point and Liberty Quays.

*full-time, commencing a course in September/October and studying for a complete academic year and excluding students who are on exchange programmes - see below for further information.

International* Students

If you are a new, unaccompanied, non-EU international student, you are guaranteed an offer of a room in halls for your first year, and all subsequent years of study in Southampton. For your first year you will need to apply by 1 August in the calendar year in which your studies begin. For subsequent years, you must apply for accommodation during the second term for the coming academic year, the deadline for applications will be publicised nearer the time.

*International students are those paying international tuition fees.

Further Information for Insurance choice students

Twin shared accommodation


Visiting/Exchange Students

Students applying through Clearing

Under 18 Students

Insurance choice students

If you are an undergraduate student and have made the University of Southampton your Insurance choice you are covered by the guarantee as long as you submit an application by 1st August, and you may be offered a space in a twin shared room. On arrival in Halls you will be asked to complete a transfer form and you will be prioritised for a single room as soon as one becomes available.

Back to the top

Twin Shared Accommodation

A twin shared room is a single study bedroom in a Hall of Residence with two beds, allowing two students to share the room and its facilities for a temporary period. As some of the facilities are being shared the room is offered at a reduced rate of rent for any period where two students are in residence.

How does Twinning Work?

This accommodation is offered to students either as Twin 1 or Twin 2. The student offered the Twin 1 contract will keep the room as their permanent accommodation for the academic year, and will be given a new contract at the full rate of rent once the student they are sharing with has moved out. The student offered the Twin 2 contract will be offered a single room elsewhere in University accommodation as soon as one becomes available, and should complete the transfer form given on arrival at the Hall.

The twinned room will be offered for a period of between six to twelve weeks, but we expect to have offered single accommodation to all students in shared accommodation within six weeks and this will be reflected in your contract.

Back to the top

Postgraduate Students

International: If you are an international fee paying postgraduate student, you are guaranteed an offer of accommodation for your first year as long as you comply with the criteria stated above.

UK and EU: If you are a UK, EU or Channel Island postgraduate student, we are unfortunately unable to guarantee you an offer of accommodation. You can apply online, and we may be able to make you an offer of accommodation; however this is dependent on room availability. If we are unable to offer you accommodation, we can provide advice and assistance with renting accommodation in the private sector.

Back to the top

Visiting Students/Erasmus or other Exchange programme

Every year the University attracts many visiting students from all over the world, very often on exchange programmes such as the Erasmus scheme. If you are an exchange student the time you come to Southampton is influenced by your studies at your home university. You might need to come to us for the early or late part of our academic year or, more rarely. for the whole academic year.

We are not able to guarantee accommodation to any exchange students although we welcome applications and will allocate accommodation if it is available and matches your preferences.

We now accept applications from students whose exchange period is in Semester 1 (from late September to the following January), or the whole academic year, and ask that you apply as soon as possible, and preferably before August 1st.

In addition, we accept applications for those coming on exchange in Semester 2 (February to May/June). Again applications are encouraged as early as possible with a requirement that applications are made before the end of November.
In either of the above cases allocation of rooms is made on a first come, first served basis.

More information about the availability of rooms in Halls of Residence, the application process, and important advice about how to go about finding accommodation within the city of Southampton in the private rented sector can be found at

Back to the top

Adjustment and Clearing

If you join the University through adjustment or clearing we encourage you to make an application for halls of residence. Although we cannot guarantee accommodation we do have a number of places available in our halls of residence that will be offered to students accepted through clearing or adjustment, including some at our new halls opening in September 2014. Early application is advisable.

Back to the top

Under 18 Students

If you are planning to join the University before your 18th birthday but after your 16th birthday, we will guarantee you a place in a Hall of Residence. If you decide not to take up this option, please let us know well in advance of your arrival. Please contact us to discuss this in more detail.

If you are a UK or EU student and will be under 16 when you start studying we will prioritise you and your guardian for suitable family accommodation. Please contact us via to discuss this in more detail.

View our Policy regarding under 18s in Halls of Residence.

Back to the top