SOES1006 or SOES1008
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Describe the fundamental processes of phytoplankton photosynthesis and primary production in the ocean.
- Apply basic practical laboratory methods for observing phytoplankton, quantifying their biomass and determining photosynthesis and respiration rates.
- Explain the main factors influencing phytoplankton production and carbon recycling in the surface ocean.
- Demonstrate skills in the analysis and presentation of data sets and the setting of such results within the context of current literature
An introduction to the euphotic zone and its biology; light in the ocean, photosynthesis and respiration; chemosynthesis; the algal cell, pigments, sampling and preservation; description of major phytoplankton groups; definitions of primary production; measurement of primary production; light and photosynthesis, phytoplankton growth and critical depth model; nutrients and phytoplankton growth; oceanic regions of phytoplankton production; global phytoplankton production; sources and sinks of dissolved organic matter; marine bacteria biomass and production; the microbial loop; modelling marine primary production, phytoplankton production and global change.
1. Determination of chlorophyll and phosphate in samples collected from algal culture.
2. Oxygen production incubation experiment.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
Formal lectures: will provide an introduction to the theory underlying the fundamental processes of marine phytoplankton photosynthesis and planktonic primary production.
Laboratory classes: will provide you with a basic introduction to practical methods for determining samples collected and experimentation. Laboratory safety awareness.
A wide range of support can be provided for those students who have further or specific learning and teaching needs.
|Practical classes and workshops||9|
|Total study time||150|
Resources & Reading list
Miller, C.B (2004). Biological Oceanography. Blackwell Science Ltd..
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.