About this course
Enhance your understanding of music education with a master's degree at the University of Southampton. You’ll graduate with the skills for a career in music teaching or further research on a PhD.
Our MMus Music Education degree gives you the opportunity to specialise in various elements of music education. On this course, you’ll study:
- current trends in musicological method and critical practice
- key research skills in music education
- a range of instrumental teaching techniques, styles and methods
- the technique, history and repertoire of your instrument or voice, and associated performance techniques
Our academic staff are internationally noted performers with active solo and ensemble careers, and established composers of contemporary art music, electronic music, media music (for example, in film, TV and videogames), and jazz. These world-leading experts can offer you intensive one-to-one tuition in music history, culture and performance.
We offer a broad-based MMus programme with 4 specialist pathways:
On the Music Education pathway, you’ll work towards a final project in the form of either an extended essay or a portfolio of recorded lessons accompanied by a written commentary. We’ll work with you to create a portfolio of work that’s relevant to your career aspirations. On completion of the course, you’ll be ready to:
- continue your research at a doctoral level
- work in the music industry or wider cultural sector
- become a teacher
- work as a freelance musician
You can mix your music education modules with topics from other MMus pathways to develop a wider range of skills and personalise the course to your interests.
This course is based at Highfield.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the Course Description Document
The Course Description Document details your course overview, your course structure and how your course is taught and assessed.