I am the Head of Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics, School of Humanities.
I am the co-director of the ESRC-funded SPLLOC project which investigates the acquisition of Spanish morphosyntax by English learners. SPLLOC is the first corpus of learner oral data completely open-access and freely available to the research and teaching communities.
I am the PI of an AHRC research project investigating native language attrition, changes in the grammars of native speakers as the result of learning a second language.
- I am a member of the editorial board of ‘Second Language Research’, the ‘Spanish Heritage Journal’ and ‘Sintagma’. Ex member of the editorial board of ‘Studies in Second Language Acquisition’ and the ‘Journal of the European Second Language Association’.
- Ex-member of the ‘European Second Language Association’ (EuroSLA) Executive Committee.
- Member of the ‘ESRC Peer Review College’.
- Associate Member of the Centre for Research & Enterprise in Language (CREL). University of Greenwich, UK.
- Associate Member of the Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism (CeLM). University of Reading, UK.
- Linguistics Association of Great Britain (LAGB) (ordinary member).
Service to the Department (Modern Languages and Linguistics):
- Head of Department (2021-2024)
- REF Champion for Impact (REF2021)
- Deputy Head of Department (2018-2019)
- Head of Research (2016-2019)
- Linguistics Section Leader (2011-2015)
Service to the University:
- Member of the University’s Senate (2020-2023)
- Member of the REF-Impact review working group (2021)
- Member of the QS World Rankings Advisory Group (2019-2020)
- Member of the ESRC Grant Assessment Panel (2021-2024)
- External examiner for MA (Taught) programmes in Linguistics and Linguistics and ELT at the University of Leeds (2018-2022)