- English as a lingua franca and Global Englishes
- Intercultural and Transcultural communication
- English as a medium of instruction and education
- English language teaching
- Intercultural language education
My research focuses on Global Englishes/English as a lingua franca, intercultural/transcultural communication, English medium education, Intercultural education, intercultural citizenship, and ELT, and I have published and presented internationally in all these areas with over 50 books, articles and chapters. I also supervise doctoral students in these topics. I am the co-editor of the book series ‘Developments in English as a Lingua Franca’ (De Gruyter Mouton) and 'Elements in Intercultural Communication' (Cambridge University Press).