Dr. Basel Halak is the director of the embedded systems and IoT program at the University of Southampton, a visiting scholar at the Technical University of Kaiserslautern, an idustrial fellow of the royal academy of engineering, a national teaching fellow of the advance HE, and a senior fellow of the higher education academy. He has written over 80-refereed conference and journal papers, and authored four books, including the first textbook on Physically Unclonable Functions. His research expertise include evaluation of security of hardware devices, development of appropriate countermeasures, the development of mathematical formalisms of reliability issues in CMOS circuits (e.g. crosstalk, radiation, ageing), and the use of fault tolerance techniques to improve the robustness of electronics systems against such issues.. Dr Halak lectures on digital design, Secure Hardware and Cryptography, supervises a number of MSc and PhD students, and is the ECS Exchange Coordinators. He is also leading European Masters in Embedded Computing Systems (EMECS) , a two year course run in collaboration with Kaiserslautern University in Germany and the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim (electronics and communication). Dr Halak serves on several technical program committees such as HOST, IEEE DATE, IVSW, ICCCA, ICCCS, MTV and EWME. He is an associate editor of IEEE access and an editor of the IET circuit devices and system journal. He is also a member of the hardware security-working group of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).
A selcted list of Dr Halak 's external activities are included below;
- Associate Editor of IEEE Access
- Editor of IET Circuit, Devices and System Special Issue on Microelectronics Education, United Kingdom.
- Editor for Cambridge Scholars Publishing, United Kingdom
International Conferences Organisation
- Orgnising Committe Member (European Liaison)of IEEE International Symposium on Hardware Oriented Security and Trust (HOST), United States.
- Technical Program Committee Member of the IEEE International Verification and Security Workshop (IVSW).
- Program Theme Chair of the 11th IEEE European workshops on Microelectronics Education.
- Technical Program Committee member of Microprocessor/SoC Test and Verification Workshop, United States
- Technical program committee Member of the international Microelectronics Olympiad, Armenia.
- Technical Program Committee Member of the IEEE International Conferences on Computer and Computational Sciences, India.
- Member of Synopsys Curricula Advisory Board, United States.
- Member of the Hardware Security Working group of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).
- External Examiner of the Engineering Faculty at University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Reviewer of numerous journals including :IEEE Transections on Computers , IEEE Transections on VLSI, IEEE Transection on Circuits and Systems TCAS I, IEEE Transections on VLSI, IEEE Transection on Circuits and Systems TCAS II, Microelectronics Journal.
Invited Talks and Public Engagment
- Invited Speaker Newcastle University, CMOS Aging Causes, Effects and Mitigations techniques, 2016.
- Invited Speaker, Al-Farabi Kazakh National University, Almaty, Kazakhstan Physically Unclonable Technologies for IoT security Applications, 2017.
- Invited Speaker, University of Kaiserslautern, Germany, On the Personalities of Electronics Systems and their Security Applications, 2018.
- Embededed Tutorial , IEEE International Verification and Security Workshop (IVSW), Spain, Physically Unclonable Functions: Design Principles, Applications and Outstanding Challenges, 2018.
- Invited Speaker, Newcastle University, On the Hardware Security of Resources Constrained Systems, 2018.
- Invited Seminar, Queen University in Belfast, Hardware-Based security Solutions of the Internet of Things , 2018.
- Invited Speaker, University of York, On the Hardware Security of Resources Constrained Systems, 2018.
- Invited Speaker, University of Liverpool, Hardware-Based security Solutions of the Internet of Things , 2018.