- Zero-Carbon Energy Systems: Hydrogen and altrenative zero-carbon energy systems
- Clean Combustion Technology of Hydrogen, Ammonia, Biofuels and Synthetic fuels: internal combustion engines, gas turbines, thermal boilers
- Green Hydrogen Production Using Renewable Energy: Process and system engineering design, Scalability and energy management
- Hydrogen and Ammonia Storage Solutions: Liquid hydrogen and ammonia solutions
- Thermal Management: Thermal mannagement of hydrogen fuel cells and batteries
Current PhD Students
External roles and responsibilities
Dr. Ranga Dinesh Kahanda Koralage obtained his first degree with First Class Honours (Faculty Gold Medal) from University of Ruhuna, Sri Lanka reading Mathematics (2002), later completing his PhD at Loughborough University, UK where he focused on Large Eddy Simulations (LES) of turbulent swirling flames (2007). He has carried out a range of research activities which involved numerical modelling and simulations of large-scale (Megawatt scale) green hydrogen production systems, combustion and emissions of hydrogen, ammonia and hydrogen fuel blends, thermal management of hydrogen fuel cells and batteries, scalar mixing and turbulent flows. His very recent research involved modelling and simulations of scalability and thermal management of large capacity green hydrogen production systems using proton exchange membrane (PEM) water electrolysis, hydrogen and hydrogen-ammonia spark ignition (SI) engine combustion, diesel-hydrogen and diesel-ammonia-hydrogen dual-fuel (DF) compression ignition (CI) engine combustion, hydrogen burner combustion for domestic hydrogen boilers, thermal management of hydrogen fuel cells and batteries and liquid hydrogen storage solutions. He has taught undergraduate teaching modules in Introduction to Advanced Mechanical Engineering Science, Introduction to Energy Technologies, Environment and Sustainability, Automotive Propulsion, Advanced Computational Methods and supervised several PhD students to a successful completion. He has carried out industry scale projects for Shell, Carnot Engines Ltd, Covaxe Engine Ltd and AIRBUS (UK). He is an active reviewer for UKRI EPSRC and several high impact factor Energy Journals such as International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Applied Energy and Journal of Fuel.