- High performance metallic materials and structures for applications in infrastructure and energy sectors
- Experimental and numerical investigation of structural materials and components
- Metallic materials for liquid hydrogen (LH2) fuel storage and transportation
- Structural design, safety and reliability analysis
- Steel-concrete composite structures analysis and design
Dr Afshan's current research activities are in the area of structural engineering and materials for applications in infrastructure and energy sectors with special emphasis on resilience, sustainability and decarbonisation.