About this course
Gain the skills to analyse governance, policy-making and administration across different areas of government on our 1 year Master of Public Administration (MPA) course.
Explore public policy design and learn how organisations deal with major policy problems and the societal effects of policy choices. You’ll cover local, national and global perspectives.
Understanding the role of public administration in implementing government policy can benefit both individuals and society, on a local to global scale.
On this flexible UK master’s in public administration you’ll explore:
- modern policy-making and administration
- public policy design and delivery
- public and non-profit organisations and their approach to major policy challenges
- the effects of policy choices on society
You’ll develop understanding of the:
- core public administration theoretical and practice-related perspectives
- main issues and events shaping public administration in national and regional settings
- central philosophical and methodological debates related to the study and practice of public administration
- ways in which governance systems differ
- skills to design and complete a dissertation on a specialist topic in the field of public administration
You'll also receive training in research design and will carry out individual, original research as part of your dissertation.
Your course leader is Dr John Boswell. John’s current research looks at public engagement in relation to health spending and the relationship between old and new media in understanding unfolding or unexpected events. Visit Dr Boswell’s profile page to learn more about his work.
This course is based at Highfield.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the Course Description Document
The Course Description Document details your course overview, your course structure and how your course is taught and assessed.