I have wide ranging interests in social and political philosophy as well as in ethics and aesthetics.
- 1) Post-Kantian social and political philosophy from Nietzsche to Foucault, and the Frankfurt School.
- 2) The Ethics and Politics of Migration
- 3) Democratic Theory and Practice
- 4) Ethics, Morality and Culture.
1) Nietzsche as a social and political thinker.
2) A political theory of global migration governance.
3) Displacement as a form of life.
1) History of Political Thought
2) Ethics and Politics of Migration
3) European social and political philosophy
4) Critics of Empire: Radical Thinkers of the Global South
5) Political thinkers of the Black Atlantic
6) Cinema and Political Theory
7) Philosophy of Social Science
External roles and responsibilities
I was brought up in Africa, the UK, and South East Asia. I undertook both my undergraduate and postgraduates degrees at the University of Durham. I have taught at the University of Southampton since 1995 and also been visiting professor at the JW Goethe University, Frankfurt a/M (2000, 2007, 2010), and at the Institute of Advanced Study, Princeton (2021-22 & 2024-25). In 2020 I was elected a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences and in 2023 a Fellow of the British Academy.
- Fellowship of the Academy of Social Sciences (2020)
- Fellowship of the British Academy (2023)