- Children and young people's development in the face of adversity.
- Prevention of common mental health problems in children and young people.
- Parents' mental health.
Pete’s current work, funded by UK Research and Innovation, the ESRC, the Kavli Trust and the Wellcome Trust, includes:
- examining the mental health of UK pre-school children and their families during the COVID-19 pandemic;
- randomised controlled trials to prevent anxiety disorders in children at risk of developing these (MY-CATS and Parenting with Anxiety);
- laboratory based experiments examining infants' learning from their mothers and fathers; and
- An Active Ingredients project to identify and review the effectiveness of improving communication in families in the treatment of anxiety and depression in young people.