Daniil¢s research work is focused on Nonlinear and Stochastic Dynamics of complex mechanical and biological systems. This work involves mathematical and experimental modelling of dynamical systems, optimal control and optimisation of systems for energy harvesting, vibration mitigation and nonlinear energy transfer.
Daniil has received a prestigious Russian Young Scientists award and he has led a number of industrial projects. He has published a monograph and over 130 technical papers in top peer-review journals in nonlinear dynamics and energy. He is a member of the EUROMECH and IFToMM, Editorial board member managing a workflow for Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Vibration, International Journal of Dynamics and Control. Currently he holds an NSF-EPSRC grant on stochastic dynamics of strongly nonlinear systems with soft dielectric polymers, the Royal Society grant on collaboration with China.
- Nonlinear and Stochastic Dynamics; Stability and Bifurcation; Energy Harvesting; Nonlinear Vibration Mitigation;
My current research has a number of directions:
- Bifurcation and stability of a vibroimpact (non-smooth) system, which uses dielectric elastomers for energy harvesting;
- Energy harvesting from flow-induced vibrations, utilising galloping and VIV response;
- Optimisation of high-power density piezoelectric beam-based energy harvesting using machine learning optimisation algorithms like surrogate optimisation;
- Nonlinear energy transfer in non-smooth systems;
- Evolutionary approach to cancer development and treatment modelling;
External roles and responsibilities
Daniil graduated from Saint-Petersburg Polytechnic Institute in 1996, receing his BS and MS degrees in Applied Mechanics and Control. He has received his another MS and PhD degrees in Mechanical Engineering in 1998 and 2001 from Worcester Polytechnic Institute, USA. In 2001 he was appointed an Assictant Porfessor at University of Miami, USA. In 2005 He joint Saint-Peteresburgh State Polytechnic Instute as an Associate professor and was promoted to a Professor in 2007. In 2010 Daniil was appointed as an Associate Professor at Heriot-Watt University and joint Institue for Sound and Vibration Research in 2022.