About the 3D X-ray histology facility
Our 3D X-ray histology (XRH) facility is a collaboration between the µ-VIS X-ray Imaging Centre and the Biomedical Imaging Unit and funded by Wellcome Trust.
We provide micro-computed tomography (micro-CT) imaging of soft-tissue samples integrated with a workflow which includes reliable sample traceability, correlative imaging visualisation, data sharing and reporting, and automatic metadata parsing.
Advantages of XRH
Micro-CT has several advantages over traditional histology:
- ability to visualise and quantify microstructure soft tissue in its 3D context
- non-destructive and can be combined with specific 2D histology techniques, including histochemistry, immunocytochemistry and in situ hybridisation
- ability to image archival material stored in hospitals and tissue banks to allow validation of microstructural hallmarks of disease
- coupled with artificial intelligence/computer-aided diagnosis it improves diagnostic accuracy and support patient stratification.
We welcome collaboration proposals from scientists who want to explore and discover the potential of XRH for their research portfolio. Our services include:
- production of XRH images
- image analysis involving sample visualisation and measurement
- correlative imaging, combining XRH with conventional histology, immunohistochemistry, and/or other microscopy techniques such as serial block face SEM)
- bespoke analysis, such as, image based model generation (meshing) for FE/CFD modelling or 3D printing
Part of: µ-VIS X-ray Imaging Centre