About the Pressure laboratory
We are a purpose-built laboratory designed for evaluating medical and consumer products. We are based at Southampton General Hospital.
We evaluate products using computation modelling, physical models and volunteer testing.
Our specialist facilities include bespoke testing laboratories and access to clinical research facilities at the Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Facility (WTCRF). These let us carry out patient testing in a controlled environment under clinical governance.
We have 3 main laboratories:
- biomechanical laboratory
- biochemistry laboratory
- environmental chamber
We use the biomechanical lab for physical models and human testing. The biochemistry lab allows us to use biomarker and tissue models to explore changes in skin and soft tissue properties.
Facilities available to researchers include:
- testing space for evaluating medical and consumer products
- CE marked dermatology tools and bespoke equipment to monitor skin health
- imaging facilities for optical coherence tomography, near infrared lymphatic imaging and thermal imaging
- cell models and biomarker analysis
- physical sensors to measure force, pressure, temperature and humidity