About this course
Become a clear, confident and comprehensive educational leader with our Masters in Education Management and Leadership pathway. Learn about professional development with strategies to overcome challenges faced by leaders in education all over the world.
This educational leadership course is for teachers and those working in administrative positions in education who are looking for the leadership and research skills to make a positive change. Learn about professional development with strategies to overcome challenges faced by leaders in education all over the world. You’ll learn how to identify opportunities for improvement within an educational institution, making decisions based on research and with a focus on outcomes.
Leaders in education are expected to introduce continuous change within their organisation, you’ll understand how this impacts an academic institution or school and the people within it. To give you versatility in the profession, we look at a variety of learning environments within the public and private sector, as well as how educational leadership theories can be used by both teachers and leaders in schools, and educational practitioners outside of schools. During this MSc educational leadership course, you’ll learn how to:
- examine different teaching and learning methods
- conduct reliable education research and reflect upon emerging research
- apply your learning of leadership theories to your practice
- assess contemporary issues in the area of educational leadership
- examine core management practices to educational institutions
You’ll learn about policies and research on a national and international level. During the course, you'll collate and evaluate the research you’ve found in order to communicate outcomes in a clear and convincing way.
We offer 3 pathways on our MSc Education degree.
Your other MSc Education pathway options are:
- Education - you'll learn teaching & learning methods, and how to conduct & analyse educational research.
- Education (Practice and Innovation) - study different teaching and learning methods and learn how to conduct and analyse educational research in the fields of innovation and inclusive practice.
If you prefer, you can apply to study this course as:
- a part-time master's - study the same course content over 2 or more years
Your modules and fees may vary if you choose a different study option.
Dr Ran Peleg is a Lecturer in Science Education within the Southampton Education School and a member of the MSHE (Mathematics, Science and Health Education) research group.
Ran’s work focuses on different genres aimed at enhancing science learning such as the use of theatre, drama, storytelling and games.
Ran holds a BA in Natural Sciences and an MEng in Chemical Engineering from the University of Cambridge. His PhD in science education from the Technion focused on learning science in informal (free-choice) environments, specifically museum theatre.
He has a keen interest in:
- chemistry education
- innovation in teaching and learning
- theatre, drama and storytelling in science education
- the role of narrative in learning
- educational escape room games
- immersive experiences in learning and teaching
- STEM and STEAM
“The MSc in education provides many diverse pathways which are perfect for any individual looking to gain or enhance their understanding about educational issues that really matter to them.”
This course is based at Highfield.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.