- Career studies
- International/global HRM
- Impact of MBA
- Working from home
Current PhD Students
Yehuda Baruch (DSc Technion, Israel, PostDoc at City University and London Business School) is a Professor of Management at Southampton Business School, the University of Southampton, UK, and Affiliated Professor, Audencia, Nantes France.
He has published over 170 refereed papers, six books and some 50 book chapters. His work is widely cited (some 30,000 Google Scholar citations, H-index of 80).
He is currently:
- Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences
- Fellow of the British Academy of Management
- Dean of the Peer Review College, British Academy of Management.
- Consulting Editor, Journal of International Business Studies (4**)
Yehuda was formerly:
- Vice-president Research of European Academy of Management, (2016-2019)
- Associate Editor of Human Resource Management (US)
- Editor: Group & Organization Management
- Editor: Career Development International
- Past Chair, Careers Division, Academy of Management.
Roles representing academic leadership and recognition:
- Vice-president Research, European Academy of Management (2016-2019)
The Academy of Management:
- Member, International Theme Committee of theAcademy of Management2005-2010
- Chair of Careers Division Academy of Management 2004-2005
- Chair-Elect of Careers Division Academy of Management 2004
- Chair of Careers Division Program Academy of Management Meeting 2003
- Chair of Careers Division PDW Academy of Management Meeting 2002
- Elected member of Careers Division Steering Committee, 2000-2002
The British Academy of Management:
- Dean, The Peer Review College of the BAM (2020+)
- Chair, The British Academy of Management PhD Symposium (2016-2018)
- Fellow of the British Academy of Management (since 2016)
- Elected member for the Council (2013-2016; re-elected 2017-2019)
- Steering Committee member of the HRM SIG (2010-2016)
Other research roles:
- Research Committee member, the Chartered Association Business of Schools (2016-2022).
- Associate Dean for Research and Chair, Scientific Committee: Rouen Business School (2012-2013).
- Scientific Committee member, Israel Organizational Behavior Conference (2014-present).
- Chair, the Hughes Award Committee, the Careers Division, Academy of Management (2008-2010).
- Research Committee Member, Ashridge Business School (2006-2007).
- Research Committee Member, Graduate Management Admission Council (2005-2007).
- Associate Editor, Human Resource Management (2014-2019)
- Editor, Group & Organization Management (2007-2011)
- Editor, Career Development International (2004-2007)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Managerial Psychology (ABS 3*) (2002-2005)
Member of 14 Editorial Advisory/Review Boards of the following learned journals:
- Human Resource Management (since 2005)
- Journal of Vocational Behavior (since 2018)
- Human Relations (since 2004)
- British Journal of Management (since 2010)
- Human Resource Management Journal (UK)(since 2012)
- International Journal of Human Resource Management (since 2010)
- Group & Organization Management (since 2012)
- Journal of Managerial Psychology (since 1998)
- Career Development International (since 1999)
- Thunderbird International Business Review (since 2009)
- Personnel Review (since 2003)
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (since 2008)
- Journal of Management, Spirituality and Religion (since 2010)
Guest Editor of special issues for:
- Human Resource Management (two Special issues)
- Journal of Vocational Behavior
- International Journal of Manpower
- Career Development International
- Consultancy for large and small UK and multinational firms; Conducting managerial development and career workshops in both the private and the public sectors.
- Army service: Paratroopers, then an officer (final rank: Major) in the Israeli Air Force (I.A.F.), first in the Intelligence, later in high-technology (was selected to study B.Sc. in engineering as part of career path).
- Project Manager in the R&D department at Elisra (formerly AEL Israel), a medium sized electronic company and in Rafael - a large High-Tech corporation which focuses in R&D and manufacturing of defence systems. Scope of responsibilities included supervision of all phases of development, manufacturing and induction to the I.A.F. of a multi-disciplinary weapon system. The product won the Israeli Prize for Security.
- English: fluent, working language
- Hebrew: mother-tongue
- French: conversational
Scholarships and Prizes:
Listed as “Top 50” globally in business & management studies in the 2022 list (placed 44) by Harzing.com
- Awarded the Cooper Medal for Outstanding Contribution and Leadership, by the British Academy of Management, 2020
- Top quarter of top 1% of scientists globally: https://lnkd.in/g6Aqa38, 2020
- Top 1% in the world, ranked 41 in the UK and 238 in the world in the Business & Management Discipline: https://research.com/u/yehuda-baruch
- Top 82 in Business & Management scholars globally, top 10 in the UK according to PLOS paper: https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.3000384
- Listed in Top 100 European Scholars publishing in top journals (the Rotterdam List)
- The 1999 Human Relations’ paper about response rate was included in the 20 ‘Classic papers from Human Relations’ (2016)
- Best Reviewer of the Year, Academy of Management Learning and Education (2016)
- Best Reviewer of the Year, British Journal of Management (2015)
- The Leading Editor Award, Emerald (2008)
- The Erskine Scholarship, New Zealand (2008)
- The Gutwirth prize for achievements in doctoral programme (1991)
- The Tab prize for excellence in doctoral programme (1990)
- Scholarship for D.Sc. Studies, Technion awards fund (1988)
- The Aba Hushi prize for distinguished M.Sc. thesis (1985)
- Scholarship for B.Sc. studies in Engineering, The Israeli Air Force (1978)
Research awards and Sponsorships for research (total: £1,171,000):
- Research grant by UKRI (ESRC) for impact of COVID-19 on working from home, June 2020: £ £214,820.
- Research grant by British Council UK-Israel, for research on violence prevention in the public service February 2020: £7,000.
- Research grant by University of Haifa, Israel, for research visit Nov 2019: £1,520.
- Research grant by the UK Art Council for entrepreneurial careers of artists: £585,284.
- Research grant by FSS small grant scheme for a study on Academic babyboomers in Japan, 2019: £3,800.
- Research grant by ESRC IAA-Aviva Responsible Investment funding for "Climate Change Related Engagements", 2018, with Vithana and Ntim: £56,478.
- Research grant by FBLA small grant scheme for a study on Dual career portfolio, 2018, with Li: £4,000.
- Research grant by the FBLA small grant scheme for a study Career success in virtual games, 2018, with Beigi and Shirmohammadi: £4,800.
- The Foundation Audencia, for study "Modeling Employability and Career expectations of graduates", 2018, with Christine Naschberger, Celine Legrand: €12,000.
- Research grant by the ESRC IAA, for 'Investment case behind living wage accreditation', 2017, with Vithana and Ntim: £57,000.
- Research grant by the FBLA small grant scheme for a study on Independent Directors careers in China, 2017, with Li and Xue: £4,328.
- Research grant by the EPSRC University of Southampton grant for a study on Diversity and academic entrepreneurship in the STEMM Research Base: Towards inclusivity, 2016, with Karatas-Ozkan and Costanzo: £20,000.
- The Foundation Audencia, for study of Grandes Ecoles Alumni in France, 2016: €5,450.
- The WU Scholarship, by Vienna University of Economics and Business, Austria; 2012: €2700.
- Research grant for ‘A framework for attracting and retaining highly skilled expatriates’, by United Arab Emirate Federal Demographic Council fund 2011: 245,000 AED (€45,000) (with S. Abdulla and H. Khondker, UAEU).
- Research grant for ‘Management Education and Careers – A Human Capital Exploration’, by GMAC® 2009: £52,000 ($84,673) (with Lavi-Steiner).
- The Erskine Scholarship, by University of Canterbury, NZ; 2008: £8,000.
- Travelling grant for the Academy of Management conference, by The British Academy; 2008: £500.
- Research grant for ‘Guiding Entrepreneurs Careers’, by NCGE; 2006: £10,000 (with Fuller and Blenkinsopp).
- Research grant for a Seminar Series on ‘Storytelling’, by the ESRC; 2005: £15,000 (with Connell, Gabriel, O’Leary, and Simms).
- Sponsorship for a study ‘Global Careers’, by Deutsche Bank; 2005: £10,000 (with Altman).
- Research grant for ‘Revision Strategies’, by Emerald; 2002: £5,000 (with Altman).
- Research grant for the study ‘ICT Skills Need Assessment’; 2001; by Norfolk Country Council; 2001: £10,000 (with Tzokas and Akbar).
- Sponsorship for the study ‘Career Resilience’, by the Post Office; 1999: £4,000 (with Altman).
- Research grant for the study ‘Bullying on the Net’, by Mobil; 1998: £19,000.
- Research grant for the study ‘The Effects of Home-working’, by SunLife; 1995: £12,000.
- Research award for the study ‘Cultures of Success’, by Withers; 1994: £4,000.
- The Anglo-Israeli Association for Joint Research, by British Council; 1992: £9,600.
- Research award for Careers in High-Tech industry, by Ford Foundation; 1990-91: $18,000 (£10,000).
Membership of Professional Bodies:
- The Academy of Management
- The British Academy of Management
- The European Academy of Management
- Institute for Learning and Teaching (UK)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (UK)
- Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences (since 2015)
- Fellow of the British Academy of Management (since 2016)
- 2014+2020: Irish Management Institute – external evaluator for Executive Programme
- 2014: Brunel University Business School – external evaluator for PGR Programmes
- 2013: Teesside University Business School – external evaluator for REF submission
- 2011: Aston University Business School – external evaluator for Research Programmes
- 1997-2009: Heriot-Watt University, moderator for the Israeli MBA programme
- 1998-2002; 2006-2010: University of Derby, external for the Israeli operation.
PhD Students (7 current, plus 21 completed successfully; 14 of them hold academic positions in the UK, USA, Vietnam, Jamaica, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan)
Master level supervision:
- Over 150 supervised MSc, MA and MBA
Jury member for HDR Viva:
- 2020: Laurent Giraud, Career transitions, Employee fulfilment and Change management. Toulouse 1 Capitole University
- 2022: Taran Patel, A Critical Appreciation of Culture in International Business Scholarship. University of Rouen.
Examiner in Doctorate Viva (29)
External reviewer for Chair/Distinguished Professor/Tenure positions/Royal Honour (19)
- Top peer reviewer by Publons for the University of Southampton 2018
Journals (over 30): Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Journal of Management, Personnel Psychology, Human Resource Management, Organization Science, Organizational Studies, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Journal of Vocational Behavior, Journal of Management Studies, Human Relations, Journal of International Business Studies,
Publishers: Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, McGraw Hill, Palgrave, Sage, Pearson, Open University Press, Lexington Books
External evaluator of research proposal bids:
- The European Science Foundation
- UKRI – the ESRC
- The Nuffield Foundation
- Suomen Akatemia (Academy of Finland)
- Research Foundation Flanders
- Qatar National Priorities Research Program
- The Federal Demographic Council - Abu Dhabi
- The Israeli Association of Industrial Relations
- Israel Science Foundation
- The British Academy of Management
- The European Academy of Management
- Israel Ministry of Science, Technology and Space
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- The Lifelong Learning Institute, Singapore
- Research Grants Council, Hong Kong
- European Science Foundation Grant Evaluation
D.Sc. thesis (1991): "Planning and Managing Careers in High-Tech Organizations"
Supervisor: Professor Eliezer Rosenstein
M.Sc. thesis (1987): "Multi-sources Performance Appraisal Systems Model".
Supervisor: Professor Gedaliahu Harel
Original papers in academic journals: 163
Quality ranking, based on the ABS list:
2 are 4** publications:
- Journal of Management (FT list)
- Research Policy (FT list)
37 are 4* publications:
- Academy of Management Annals (two)
- Human Resource Management (eight) (FT list)
- Academy of Management Learning & Education
- Human Relations (six) (FT list)
- British Journal of Management (seven)
- Journal of Vocational Behavior (seven)
- Organization Studies (FT list)
- Journal of Business Venturing (FT list)
- Human Resource Management Journal (three) (now 4**)
- Journal of World Business
41 are 3* publications:
- International Journal of Human Resource Management (12) (was FT list)
- Human Resource Management Review (three)
- Journal of Business Ethics (FT list) (three)
- Information & Management (two)
- Organizational Dynamics
- Management Learning (two)
- Journal of Management Inquiry
- Long Range Planning
- Nonprofit & Voluntary Sector Quarterly
- International Journal of Management Reviews (two)
- New Technology, Work & Employment
- Technological Forecasting and Social Change
- Asia Pacific Journal of Management
- European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology
- Journal of Managerial Psychology (five)
- European Management Review
- Studies in Higher Education (three)
- International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management (two)
- Stanford 2% Global Scientist Citation Rankings (2021)
- Top 2% of list of global 2% highly cited scholars 2021 (2021)
- Cooper Medal for Outstanding Contribution and Leadership (2020)
- Top quarter of top 1% of scientists globally (2020)
- Top 1% in the world, ranked 41 in the UK and 238 in the world in the Business & Management Discipline (2021)
- Top 82 in Business & Management scholars globally, top 10 in the UK according to PLOS paper (2019)
- The Rotterdam List (2021)
- A Fellow (2016)