About this course
Prepare for an advanced role in neonatal practice with a master’s in neonatal nursing at the University of Southampton. Our MSc Advanced Clinical Practice (Advanced Neonatal Nurse Practitioner) degree develops your existing neonatal clinical experience and skills, helping you take on greater responsibility and make more complex clinical decisions.
This pathway is accredited by Health Education England's Centre for Advancing Practice. Completion of HEE accredited programmes/pathways is set to become one of the benchmark routes to recognition for Advanced Clinical Practitioners, and accreditation is also designed to ensure a consistent level of programme quality across England
Throughout this degree you’ll:
- critically evaluate role development in relation to advanced neonatal practice
- explore how to apply evidence to your role
- apply diagnostic and clinical decision-making skills to your professional practice
- develop new and improved history-taking and clinical skills for assessment and examination of newborns, advanced neonatal studies and pharmacology
- demonstrate your clinical competence through simulated and practice-based clinical assessment
If you’re eligible to practise as an independent or supplementary prescriber, you will have the opportunity to obtain the V300 non-medical prescribing qualification.
We centre our programme around the 4 pillars of advanced practice:
- advanced clinical practice
You’ll learn more about research and evidence-based practice, advanced health assessment, diagnosis, decision-making and pharmacology, plus non-medical prescribing. You’ll also explore the place of advanced practice within contemporary healthcare and within your own future professional role.
If you prefer, you can apply to study this course as:
- a Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip) - you'll usually study for around 30 weeks and will not need to write a dissertation
You can also take a single module as part of continuing professional development (CPD). Explore modules that are available as CPD
Your modules and fees may vary if you choose a different study option.
Your course leader on the Advanced Neonatal Nurse Practitioner pathway is Susan Smith.
We offer 3 other pathways on our MSc Advanced Clinical Practice course:
This course is based at Highfield.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the Course Description Document
The Course Description Document details your course overview, your course structure and how your course is taught and assessed.
Changes due to COVID-19
Although the COVID-19 situation is improving, any future restrictions could mean we might have to change the way parts of our teaching and learning take place in 2021 to 2022. We're working hard to plan for a number of possible scenarios. This means that some of the information on this course page may be subject to change.
Find out more on our COVID advice page.