About this course
Choose full or part-time study with our flexible MSc Professional Practice in Health Sciences. The course has been developed for anyone working in health or social care. You can tailor the degree to your specific needs and choose from our wide range of health modules.
For example, you could boost your skills in management or patient care, or follow a particular interest in a certain population group.
This UK master’s for clinicians and non-clinicians, is designed to support your development as a healthcare worker. It offers a precise fit for your clinical career path. If you’re a non-clinician, you’ll be able to study the service you manage. You'll also be well prepared for higher level healthcare roles when you graduate.
You’ll learn to:
- develop a learning programme relevant to your chosen area
- work independently to create solutions to practice-based problems or analyse a health-related topic
- interpret, analyse and present highly complex information
- demonstrate extensive knowledge of the current health and social care policy relevant to your interest, along with the ability to apply this with initiative and originality
- analyse influences on professional practice or ideology including research, legislation and governance
- reflect on the quality and influence you’ve brought to improving patient care
If you prefer, you can apply to study this course as:
- a full-time master's - study the same course content in 1 year
You can also take a single module: Most of our modules are available to be taken individually as continuing professional development (CPD). If you take a module as an assessed CPD module it may count towards the MSc if you wish to progress. Explore modules that are available as CPD.
Your modules and fees may vary if you choose a different study option. For part-time study you can pay as you go for each module.
Your course lead is Dr Chris Franks, Lecturer in Life Sciences. He is interested in pain physiology and has a history in neuroscience research. Visit Dr Franks’ profile page to find out more about his work and publications.
This course is based at Highfield.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.