About this course
Prepare for an advanced role in clinical practice on this master's degree at the University of Southampton. Our MSc Advanced Clinical Practice (Advanced Allied Health Practitioner) develops your existing clinical experience and skills, helping you take on greater responsibility as an advanced or consultant practitioner.
The Advanced Allied Health Practitioner pathway is only open to professionals working as experienced registered practitioners in a UK healthcare setting. You’ll need to demonstrate that you have access to the required practice experience and mentorship.
Throughout this degree you’ll:
- examine role development in relation to advanced practice
- explore how to apply evidence to your field of practice and clinical specialty
- apply communication and clinical decision-making skills to your professional practice
- develop new clinical skills in relation to client health assessment, diagnostic reasoning and pharmacology
- show your clinical competence through simulated and practice-based clinical assessment
If you’re eligible to practise as an independent or supplementary prescriber, you will have the opportunity to obtain the V300 non-medical prescribing qualification.
We centre our allied health master's around the 4 pillars of advanced practice:
- advanced clinical practice
You’ll learn more about research and evidence-based practice, advanced health assessment, diagnosis, decision making and pharmacology, plus non-medical prescribing. You’ll also explore the place of advanced practice within modern healthcare and your own professional role.
If you prefer, you can apply to study this course as:
- a Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip) - you'll usually study for about 2 years and will not need to write a dissertation
You can also take a single module as part of continuing professional development (CPD). Explore modules that are available as CPD.
Your modules and fees may vary if you choose a different study option.
Your course leader is Dr Helen Rushforth. She has a background in child health nursing and advanced clinical practice. Visit Dr Helen Rushforth’s staff profile to learn more about her work.
We offer 3 other pathways on our MSc Advanced Clinical Practice course:
This course is based at Highfield.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.
In light of COVID-19, we’ve made changes to some elements of course delivery for 2020-21. For details as to how this has changed delivery for this course, please view the Addendum to the Programme Specification PDF.