Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
FilmPart of HumanitiesUndergraduate study

Flexible Study

Humanities at Southampton offers a range of innovative flexible learning options, so you can tailor your degree to suit your specific needs and interests.

Flexible learning at Southampton
Flexible learning at Southampton

Combined Honours

Combined Honours programmes give students the opportunity to study two areas of interest throughout their undergraduate degree. You may be keen to continue with subjects you have enjoyed at college level, or you might be interested in adding a new subject area to your existing study experiences. Find out more here.


All Humanities students have the option to study a minor subject alongside their main course, so you graduate with, for example, BA Film with American Studies. Minor subject areas include Creative Writing, Music, Philosophy, Politics and many others. Click here for more information.

Curriculum Innovation Programme

Interdisciplinary modules provide you with the opportunity to broaden your learning. Each module explores key contemporary subjects, such as sustainability or intercultural communication, from the perspective of different disciplines. You work with students from other subjects, learn through innovative methods, such as group work and social media, and are assessed in new ways, such as student-led teaching and presentations. Visit our Curriculum Innovation page for further information. 

Learning a Language

The Southampton Language Opportunity provides you with the opportunity to study a language free of charge, alongside your degree programme. The scheme is funded by the Southampton Opportunity and managed by Modern Languages and Linguistics. The classes offer no formal qualification or provide any credit, but are perfect for those wanting to start a new language or polish up on previous skills. For more information click here.

Study Abroad

Spending part of your degree in a new culture will give you knowledge, transferable skills and an international outlook – all of which are highly valued by employers. We have opportunities to study abroad for an academic year, a semester, or a month-long summer school at many universities around the world, including in Europe, Asia, North and South America. Click here for further information.

Lifelong learning

Film Studies, in collaboration with Harbour Lights Cinema, have a popular and established schedule of part-time evening and weekend film courses, which form part of the Humanities Lifelong Learning programme of part-time study and cultural events.

Courses and events are available in the following subject areas: archaeology, English literature, film, history, Jewish studies, modern languages and philosophy.

Visit the Humanities Lifelong Learning website to find out more.

Transfer applications

We get a number of applications for transfer to study film or a one of our combined courses. Sometimes these are from within the University, from students who've had second thoughts about the course they are currently taking, sometimes from external applicants who wish to make either a change of course or (often for good personal reasons) a change of university. If you're thinking of transferring to one of the film courses at Southampton, the following guidelines may be helpful.

First-year transfers
Most (though not all) applications for first-year transfer are from students within the University (sometimes from students wishing to change from another single honours programme to a combined film programme). There are three important constraints you need to bear in mind, whether you're an internal or an external applicant:

  1. transfers normally have to be made before the end of Week 2 of Semester 1
  2. you'll normally be expected to have reached at least the standard entry requirements of the course you're applying for; if you haven't, you may be considered at the discretion of the Admissions Tutor
  3. film studies is a very popular subject (this is particularly the case with the BA in Film and English), and we may not be able to find room for you even if you are eligible

To apply for transfer, you should contact the relevant Admissions Tutors, explaining why you want to transfer and giving full contact details; if you're applying from outside one of Film's courses, it speeds things up if you can also provide a copy of your UCAS form (ask your current discipline office to fax it to the Admissions Tutor). If you're eligible on grades and there is the possibility of a transfer, you'll be interviewed by an Admissions Tutor; internal candidates can find it useful to talk to the Admissions Tutor anyway to discuss the possibilities open to them. If the interview goes well, your application will still have to be cleared with the Head of Programmes in Film Studies before you're accepted.

If you've applied too late, or been rejected, for a transfer, you can reapply at the end of your first year for a transfer into second-year combined honours. But you will need to have passed the Qualifying Examination with a 2:1 across the board; acceptance will depend on whether our numbers allow it; and your choice of second-year courses may be limited.

Second-and final-year transfers
For internal transfers in year 2, see under 'First-year transfers' above. Because of pressure on places, we rarely accept external second- or final-year transfers; but we consider each applicant individually. Whether we accept you will depend on whether:

  1. we have room for you
  2. you have the CATS [credit accumulation and transfer] or ECTS points necessary to transfer into the second- or final-year course
  3. you have been performing to at least 2:1 standard 
  4. your previous degree study was at least broadly compatible in content with the Southampton Film Studies course
  5. you have good personal reasons for wishing to transfer

To apply for transfer, contact the relevant Admissions Tutors, explaining why you want to transfer and giving full contact details; it is helpful if you can ask your present Discipline to provide us with a copy of your UCAS form and a reference (either from your personal tutor or from another academic who knows your work well). If you are currently on course in another university, you'll need to apply to us formally for second- or third-year entry through UCAS; but it's a good idea to contact us informally before you apply so we can confirm whether we are willing to make you an offer. If we agree to your transfer, the gold 'change of unit/course' form from the Undergraduate Office will need to be completed and signed by the Heads of Programme of both your 'old' and 'new' discipline.

General advice

Film Studies offers the opportunity to study overseas with one of our partner institutions
Moulin Rouge, Paris

There are loads of great options to choose from in your second and third year so you can do things you really enjoy. I love the huge choice available when choosing modules; there are always some that I know I’ll love

Privacy Settings