Dr Andreas Schmitt is an Ernest Rutherford Fellow and an Associate Professor within Mathematical Sciences at the University of Southampton.
- Quantum chromodynamics
- Superconductivity and superfluidity of dense nuclear and quark matter
Andreas' research interests are centred around matter governed by the strong force (Quantum chromodynamics). In particular, Andreas is interested in the phase structure at nonzero temperatures and baryon densities. This research combines elements from particle physics and condensed matter physics and is related to astrophysical research in the context of neutron stars.
Andreas is also interested in superconductivity and superfluidity of dense nuclear and quark matter. In his research, he applies quantum field theoretic methods in the form of effective theories and phenomenological models, as well as elements of string theory via the gauge/string duality.
Current PhD Students
- since Oct 15 Ernest Rutherford Fellow and Associate Professor at University of Southampton, Mathematical Sciences and STAG Research Centre, Southampton, United Kingdom
- Nov 07 - Sep 15 University Assistant and postdoc at TU Wien, Institute for Theoretical Physics, Vienna, Austria
- Jan 06 - Oct 07 Postdoc at Washington University in St Louis, Department of Physics, St Louis, USA
- Jan 05 - Dec 05 Postdoc at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Theoretical Physics, Cambridge, USA
- Jul 04 PhD in Physics at Goethe University Frankfurt, Germany