Dr Achala Gupta is a lecturer in Southampton Education School at the University of Southampton. Achala is a member of the editorial board of the British Sociological Association's flagship journal, Sociology.
Achala is a sociologist of education and has published research articles on social class and educational privilege, heterogeneity of middle-class advantage, teacher-entrepreneurialism, as well as timescape, social legitimacy, the shadowing process of, and mothers' subscription to, private tutoring in India. Achala has also contributed to the higher education literature by exploring how students are socially constructed in Denmark, England, Ireland, Germany, Poland, and Spain.
At the University of Southampton:
- Lead, Southampton Education School Seminar Series (January 2023 - present)
- Ethics Reviewer for research conducted by students and staff in the Faculty of Social Sciences (July 2021-present)
- Academic Integrity Officer (BSc, PGCE primary and secondary, MSc Army programmes) for the Southampton Education School (July 2021-August 2022)
- UK’s Higher Education Academy
- British Educational Research Association
- UKRI Early-career Forum
- Council for European Studies
- Comparative and International Education Society
- European Sociological Association
- British Sociological Association