About this course
This master's in public health global health is ideal preparation for a career as a global public health analyst. You'll develop both academic and vocational skills in to make a difference, exploring the relationships between global public health, climate change, urbanisation and armed conflict. We have a particular specialism in the analysis of population patterns and demographic processes.
We are in the world top 50 for Statistics and Operational Research (QS subject rankings 2019)
This MSc public health global health course focuses on work-related learning; you’ll work in multi-disciplinary teams and practise real-world tasks. Graduates of this course have gone on to work for the government and public bodies both in the UK and abroad, including:
- Public Health England
- local government
- ministries of health
- national and international non-government organisations
You’ll learn to develop and evaluate public health programmes and conduct epidemiological studies. The specialist areas you’ll be able to explore include:
- critical issues in global public health
- analysing trends and differentials in global health
- communicable disease control
- health economics in public health
Through your dissertation, you can personalise this course to your interests. In previous years students have analysed problems using national data sets such as the Demographic Health Surveys and Multiple Indicator Cluster Surveys.
Public health is an interdisciplinary profession, and this is reflected in your learning. Your lecturers are academics who are actively involved in research or are working in the sector. They’re experts from across the University, in Public Health, Demography and Social Science.
We also offer 4 other pathways on our Public Health Master's. If you decide that you’d like to change to a different public health specialism within the first 2 weeks of the semester you’ll be able to change your degree.
Your other Public Health MSc pathway options are:
- Public Health Intelligence - Discover our Public Health Intelligence master's degree at the University of Southampton. Learn how to collect and analyse public health intelligence research.
- Public Health Management - Discover our Public Health Management master's degree at the University of Southampton. Learn to apply systems thinking to global and local health issues.
- Public Health Nutrition - Discover our Public Health Nutrition master's degree at the University of Southampton. Learn to develop the skills to become a public health nutritionist.
- Public Health - Discover our Public Health master's degree at the University of Southampton. Boost your career skills in global disease prevention & management
This public health global health degree is available to take as an intercalation degree for undergraduate medical students. Intercalation means that you'll take a year out of your undergraduate medicine degree to gain this extra award.
If you prefer, you can apply to study this course as:
- a part-time master's - study the same course content over 2 or more years
- a Postgraduate Certificate (PGCert) - you'll usually study for around 15 weeks and will not need to write a dissertation
- a Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip) - you'll usually study for around 30 weeks and will not need to write a dissertation
Your modules and fees may vary if you choose a different study option.
Professor Nuala McGrath is Professor of Epidemiology and Sexual Health and NIHR Global Health Professor.
Nuala received her undergraduate degree in Mathematics, Statistics and Operational Research (University of Exeter, UK); a Masters in Biometry (University of Reading, UK); and a Doctorate in Infectious Disease Epidemiology (Harvard School of Public Health, USA).
Nuala’s work is characterised by two main areas of research; HIV testing, prevention and treatment, and Sexual and reproductive health and relationship dynamics.
She currently serves as a member of the FLAIR (Future Leaders – African Independent Research Fellowships) Interview Committee. She is also a Commissioner for the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK.
For more information view Nuala’s staff profile
“Our personal tutors and lecturers take a personal interest in us and provide support whenever it is needed. The facilities and teaching at Southampton are excellent.”
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.