About this course
This master's in textile design will encourage you to be experimental and will give you the skills for a successful career in textile design. Taught by industry-experienced tutors who are sustainability specialists, and supported by our dedicated technicians; you’ll learn techniques such as print, embroidery and Devore.
This MA textile design course is suitable if you’re a recent graduate or if you want to refocus your career. Whether your interests are in textiles for fashion, interior design or as a medium for art pieces, you’ll develop your skills and apply them to a range of textile media.
Employability is key throughout this UK Textile Design master’s degree. You’ll graduate with a portfolio that demonstrates your talents and accomplishments, as well as industry knowledge.
You’ll have extensive industry exposure including:
- guest lectures and live project briefs
- visits to trade events and selling your work at pop-up events
- designing pieces for external public events and opportunities to showcase your work
- internship opportunities with leading fashion and textile companies
- access to lectures and conferences run by renowned research and special interest groups, such as the Winchester Luxury Research Group, In The Loop and the Fashion and Sustainability Forum
A supportive and personalised approach to learning; staff will get to know your individual strengths and help you achieve your potential. You’ll also be co-located with MA Fashion Design students in a creative studio atmosphere where you can share ideas and draw inspiration from one another’s work.
The facilities and equipment you’ll use are outstanding. They include:
- a Mimaki digital printer, heat-transfer printing and large hand screen-printing tables with adjoining screen exposing rooms and dye labs
- computerised Shima Seiki knitting machines across three gauges, a variety of single and doublebed Dubied knitting machines, linkers and manual knitting machines
- a state-of-the-art jacquard loom, a variety of computerised AVL dobby looms, and manual table looms
- the WSA library, with comprehensive collections of textiles books, journals and magazines as well as a wide range of other arts-related materials
This MA textiles course leader is Reem Alasadi has presented her womenswear collections in London and Tokyo and specialises in highly innovative design, specialising in artisanship and hand-crafted excellence. She brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise in retail, design, visual marketing and merchandising to the course. She also has considerable expertise in sustainable and ethical design and has led many workshops in non-waste design.
This course is based at Winchester.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the Course Description Document
The Course Description Document details your course overview, your course structure and how your course is taught and assessed.