Dr Christian Bokhove is Professor in Southampton Education School within the University of Southampton. He is a specialist on the use of ICT in Mathematics education.
The following selected publications show the breadth of Dr. Bokhove’s work:
- Bokhove, C. (2022). The role of analytical variability in secondary data replications: a replication of Kim et al. (2014). Educational Research and Evaluation.
- Bokhove, C., & Sims, S. (2020). Demonstrating the potential of text mining for analyzing school inspection reports: a sentiment analysis of 17,000 Ofsted documents. International Journal of Research and Method in Education. https://doi.org/10.1080/1743727X.2020.1819228
- Bokhove, C., Miyazaki, M., Komatsu, K., Chino, K., Leung, A., & Mok, I. (2019). The role of 'opportunity to learn' in the geometry curriculum: a multilevel comparison of six countries. Frontiers in Education, 4, 1-12. . https://doi.org/10.3389/feduc.2019.00063
- Bokhove, C. (2018). Exploring classroom interaction with dynamic social network analysis. International Journal of Research and Method in Education, 41(1), 17-37. https://doi.org/10.1080/1743727X.2016.1192116
- Mathematics education in the classroom
- Technology use in schools
- Research methods
- Computational Social Science
Christian has been involved in several research projects over recent years, including the European MC-squared project which looked at creating creative, digital books for mathematics, and the British Academy funded ‘enGasia’ project which looked at geometry education in secondary schools in Hong Kong, England and Japan. Two current projects are a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on World Class Maths: Asian Teaching Methods with publisher MacMillan and Prof. Lianghuo Fan, and a feasibility study to start up a new version of the seminal mathematics textbooks of the School Mathematics Project.
In 2022, Christian started a project 'Inspecting the inspectorate' with the Nuffield Foundation.
Christian has taught on a number of undergraduate and postgraduate modules, including:
- MSc Understanding Education Research
BSc Research Methods
Christian welcomes PhD applications in many areas of education, with a particular focus on Mathematics education, Technology use and largescale datasets (TIMSS, PIRLS, PISA, PIAAC, ICCS).
External roles and responsibilities
Christian was a teacher of Mathematics and Computer science, and Head of ICT at a secondary school from 1998 to 2012 in Zaandam, in the Netherlands. During these years he participated in and led projects on Maths and ICT (wisweb, Galois, Sage).
In 2011, Christian obtained his Ph.D at Utrecht University’s Freudenthal Institute with his thesis ‘Use of ICT for acquiring, practicing and assessing algebraic expertise'.
He was appointed at the University of Southampton in August 2012, specialising in Mathematics education, Technology use and research methods.
- IEA Wolf award (2020)