The University of Southampton
Filter your search:

Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems (MEng)

Master of Engineering
Length of course
4 years, starts September 2020
Course type
UCAS course code

About this course

Discover the vital systems behind computers and electronic devices, and learn what makes them work. You'll explore the main components of integrated circuits and the complex architecture for high-power computing. We’ve pioneered many of the most important advances in electronics and microelectronics over the past 30 years. This degree will give you the skills to work in any area of the electronics industry.

This degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET). It provides a route to professional registration as a Chartered Engineer.

On this 4-year, integrated Masters, you'll study fundamental electronic engineering, then take specialist topics, like:

  • advanced computer architecture

  • parallel and concurrent programming

  • computational modelling

Many of our specialist modules have design exercises with the latest computer-aided design and modelling software. You'll work on hardware security and system-on-a-chip technology, and take part in a group design project judged by an industry panel.

As part of this course you can:

  • use our research facilities, including a high-voltage laboratory and our £110m interdisciplinary clean room

  • develop your enterprise skills with help from our startup supporter, Future Worlds

  • build your own unique electronic systems

  • study engineering management and law to develop your career skills

You can download the course details, including modules, in the programme specificationPDF opens in a new window (PDF, 781.88 KB).

Location and awarding body

The course location is Highfield campus in Southampton. The awarding body is University of Southampton.

Transfer between courses

You can transfer between our electronic engineeringelectrical and electronic engineering or electrical engineering courses at certain points during your degree. You'll need to discuss this with your course leader.