About this course
Discover the vital systems behind computers and electronic devices, and learn what makes them work. You'll explore the main components of integrated circuits and the complex architecture for high-power computing. We’ve pioneered many of the most important advances in electronics and microelectronics over the past 30 years. This degree will give you the skills to work in any area of the electronics industry.
This degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET). It provides a route to professional registration as a Chartered Engineer.
On this 4-year, integrated Masters, you'll study fundamental electronic engineering, then take specialist topics, like:
advanced computer architecture
parallel and concurrent programming
Many of our specialist modules have design exercises with the latest computer-aided design and modelling software. You'll work on hardware security and system-on-a-chip technology, and take part in a group design project judged by an industry panel.
As part of this course you can:
use our research facilities, including a high-voltage laboratory and our £110m interdisciplinary clean room
develop your enterprise skills with help from our startup supporter, Future Worlds
build your own unique electronic systems
study engineering management and law to develop your career skills
This degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Electronic Engineering
- Study electronic engineering through theoretical and practical work, and learn key physics and programming skills, Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Artificial Intelligence
- Study electronic engineering and focus on artificial intelligence. With many uses in emerging fields, you'll be prepared for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Mobile and Secure Systems
- Design and build electronic systems, and study topics like cyber security and sustainable energy on this degree. Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology
- Study electromagnetism and communications, and do an individual project on this integrated Masters degree. Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Photonics
- Combine electronic engineering with photonics and gain key skills in this exciting, varied subject. Prepare for Chartered Engineer status.
- Electronic Engineering with Wireless Communications
- Study electronic engineering with wireless communications and gain the skills you need for a career as a Chartered Engineer on this accredited degree.
This course is based at Highfield, Southampton.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.