About this course
Learn how we generate, transmit then process the signals that power today's communications. This course looks at modern and future wireless technology, from wifi to sat-nav, and it's a great chance to apply your mathematical theory to real-world problems. You’ll gain the knowledge and practical skills to meet a growing need for professionals in this industry.
Wireless communications support the technologies we rely on, and this course explores the systems and standards that make it possible.
You’ll study information theory, looking at the capacity of channels and the fundamental limits of wireless networks. Practical work includes applying software-defined radio equipment to real radio systems in the lab.
You’ll also look at specialised topics such as signal and image processing or radio communications engineering.
Many modules include guest speakers from industry, and our academics have close links with industry through research collaborations and their own enterprises.
As part of this course you can:
use our research facilities, including a high-voltage laboratory and our £110m interdisciplinary clean room
develop your enterprise skills with help from our startup supporter, Future Worlds
build your own unique electronic systems
study engineering management and law to develop your career skills
This MEng Electronic Engineering and Wireless Communications degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of:
fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Electronic Engineering
- Complete theoretical and practical work, and learn key physics and programming skills, on this MEng Electronic Engineering degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Artificial Intelligence
- Explore new technologies on this integrated MEng Electronic Engineering with Artificial Intelligence master's. Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems
- Study programming and computer architecture on this MEng Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems integrated master's degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Mobile and Secure Systems
- Explore the field of mobile and secure systems engineering, including cyber security, wireless networks and sustainable energy. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology
- Study the nanoscale, electronics and photonics on this integrated MEng Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Photonics
- Study the science and technology of light on this MEng Electronic Engineering with Photonics integrated master's degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
This course is based at Highfield, Southampton.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.