About this course
Gain the knowledge and skills to develop new, intelligent technologies. From facial recognition software to self-driving cars, artificial intelligence (AI) plays a growing role. You'll explore electronics and specialist AI topics and discover its future applications. This course will prepare you for a career in this dynamic and exciting industry.
Artificial intelligence is where electronics and computer science meet. It involves custom-designed hardware with complex algorithms and software.
On this course, you’ll design computer systems that can learn from data, recognise speech and images, and solve problems. You can get practical laboratory experience by:
developing control algorithms for robots
solving real-world machine learning tasks
At Southampton, Electronics and Computer Science are in the same department, so it's easy for you to study across both disciplines.
As part of this course you can:
use our research facilities, including a high-voltage laboratory and our £110m interdisciplinary clean room
develop your enterprise skills with help from our startup supporter, Future Worlds
build your own unique electronic systems
You’ll learn from our AI experts, who research in fields like:
effective disaster relief operations
This degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of:
fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Electronic Engineering
- Study electronic engineering through theoretical and practical work, and learn key physics and programming skills, Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems
- Study programming and computer architecture on this electronic engineering and computer systems degree. Begin your path to Chartered Engineer status.
- Electronic Engineering with Mobile and Secure Systems
- Design and build electronic systems, and study topics like cyber security and sustainable energy on this degree. Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology
- Study electromagnetism and communications, and do an individual project on this integrated Masters degree. Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Photonics
- Combine electronic engineering with photonics and gain key skills in this exciting, varied subject. Prepare for Chartered Engineer status.
- Electronic Engineering with Wireless Communications
- Study electronic engineering with wireless communications and gain the skills you need for a career as a Chartered Engineer on this accredited degree.
This course is based at Highfield, Southampton.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.