About this course
Gain the knowledge and skills to develop new, intelligent technologies. From facial recognition software to self-driving cars, artificial intelligence (AI) plays a growing role. You'll explore electronics and specialist AI topics and discover its future applications. This course will prepare you for a career in this dynamic and exciting industry.
Artificial intelligence is where electronics and computer science meet. It involves custom-designed hardware with complex algorithms and software.
On this course, you’ll design computer systems that can learn from data, recognise speech and images, and solve problems. You can get practical laboratory experience by:
developing control algorithms for robots
solving real-world machine learning tasks
At Southampton, Electronics and Computer Science are in the same department, so it's easy for you to study across both disciplines.
As part of this course you can:
use our research facilities, including a high-voltage laboratory and our £110m interdisciplinary clean room
develop your enterprise skills with help from our startup supporter, Future Worlds
build your own unique electronic systems
You’ll learn from our AI experts, who research in fields like:
effective disaster relief operations
This MEng Electronic Engineering with Artificial Intelligence degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of:
fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Electronic Engineering
- Complete theoretical and practical work, and learn key physics and programming skills, on this MEng Electronic Engineering degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems
- Study programming and computer architecture on this MEng Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems integrated master's degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Mobile and Secure Systems
- Explore the field of mobile and secure systems engineering, including cyber security, wireless networks and sustainable energy. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology
- Study the nanoscale, electronics and photonics on this integrated MEng Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Photonics
- Study the science and technology of light on this MEng Electronic Engineering with Photonics integrated master's degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Wireless Communications
- Learn about the technologies that connect us on this MEng Electronic Engineering with Wireless Communications master's degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
This course is based at Highfield, Southampton.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.