About this course
Explore the physical components, software and systems that bring electronic devices to life. Our 4-year, integrated Masters will let you design, build and test your own electronic systems, including a project to solve a real-life problem. You can study the latest advances in areas such as quantum devices and nanotechnology. You’ll also develop skills you can apply to societal issues, like sustainable energy and data security.
This degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET). It provides a route to professional registration as a Chartered Engineer.
Our Electronic Engineering Masters provides a solid basis in engineering. It allows you to specialise your studies with topics like:
You'll also learn about the latest advances in areas such as quantum technology and photonics (the science of light), from our researchers, who are experts in these fields.
As part of this course you can:
use our research facilities, including a high-voltage laboratory and our £110m interdisciplinary clean room
develop your enterprise skills with help from our startup supporter, Future Worlds
build your own unique electronic systems
study engineering management and law to develop your career skills
You can take this course with an additional year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code HH61 for the Industrial Studies option.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Electronic Engineering
- Study electronic engineering through theoretical and practical work, and learn key physics and programming skills, Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Artificial Intelligence
- Study electronic engineering and focus on artificial intelligence. With many uses in emerging fields, you'll be prepared for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems
- Study programming and computer architecture on this electronic engineering and computer systems degree. Begin your path to Chartered Engineer status.
- Electronic Engineering with Mobile and Secure Systems
- Design and build electronic systems, and study topics like cyber security and sustainable energy on this degree. Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology
- Study electromagnetism and communications, and do an individual project on this integrated Masters degree. Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Photonics
- Combine electronic engineering with photonics and gain key skills in this exciting, varied subject. Prepare for Chartered Engineer status.
- Electronic Engineering with Wireless Communications
- Study electronic engineering with wireless communications and gain the skills you need for a career as a Chartered Engineer on this accredited degree.
This course is based at Highfield, Southampton.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.