About this course
Infuse your Electronic Engineering studies with the science and technology of light. Photonics engineering has many applications, from broadband internet to precision medical and industrial tools. It’s also vital for new technologies such as quantum and photonic computing, which uses photons for ultra-fast, energy-efficient data processing. This accredited degree will give you access to professional registration as a Chartered Engineer.
On this 4-year, integrated master's, you'll train in the fundamentals of electronic engineering. This will provide a basis for your specialist photonics studies. You'll choose from a huge range of specialist modules, covering the latest advances in areas such as :
fabrication and microscopy
nanoelectronic and quantum devices
digital coding and transmission
You’ll learn under academics from our prestigious Optoelectronics Research Centre (ORC). The ORC has an impressive record of discoveries - our researchers developed the optical components that power today’s internet.
As part of this course you can:
use our research facilities, including a high-voltage lab and our £110m clean rooms
develop your enterprise skills with help from our startup supporter, Future Worlds
build your own unique electronic systems
This MEng Electronic Engineering with Photonics degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
We are also a member of the UK Electronics Skills Foundation.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Electronic Engineering
- Complete theoretical and practical work, and learn key physics and programming skills, on this MEng Electronic Engineering degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Artificial Intelligence
- Explore new technologies on this integrated MEng Electronic Engineering with Artificial Intelligence master's. Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems
- Study programming and computer architecture on this MEng Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems integrated master's degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Mobile and Secure Systems
- Explore the field of mobile and secure systems engineering, including cyber security, wireless networks and sustainable energy. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology
- Study the nanoscale, electronics and photonics on this integrated MEng Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Wireless Communications
- Learn about the technologies that connect us on this MEng Electronic Engineering with Wireless Communications master's degree. Become a Chartered Engineer.
This course is based at Highfield, Southampton.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.