About this course
Infuse your Electronic Engineering studies with the science and technology of light. Photonics has many applications, from broadband internet to precision medical and industrial tools. It’s also vital for new technologies such as quantum and photonic computing, which uses photons for ultra-fast, energy-efficient data processing. This accredited degree will give you access to professional registration as a Chartered Engineer.
On this 4-year, integrated Masters, you'll train in the fundamentals of electronic engineering. This will provide a basis for your specialist Photonics studies. You'll choose from a huge range of specialist modules, covering the latest advances in areas such as :
fabrication and microscopy
nanoelectronic and quantum devices
digital coding and transmission
You’ll learn under academics from our prestigious Optoelectronics Research Centre (ORC). The ORC has an impressive record of discoveries - our researchers developed the optical components that power today’s internet.
As part of this course you can:
use our research facilities, including a high-voltage lab and our £110m clean rooms
develop your enterprise skills with help from our startup supporter, Future Worlds
build your own unique electronic systems
This degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
We are also a member of the UK Electronics Skills Foundation.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Electronic Engineering
- Study electronic engineering through theoretical and practical work, and learn key physics and programming skills, Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Artificial Intelligence
- Study electronic engineering and focus on artificial intelligence. With many uses in emerging fields, you'll be prepared for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems
- Study programming and computer architecture on this electronic engineering and computer systems degree. Begin your path to Chartered Engineer status.
- Electronic Engineering with Mobile and Secure Systems
- Design and build electronic systems, and study topics like cyber security and sustainable energy on this degree. Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology
- Study electromagnetism and communications, and do an individual project on this integrated Masters degree. Prepare for a career as a Chartered Engineer.
- Electronic Engineering with Wireless Communications
- Study electronic engineering with wireless communications and gain the skills you need for a career as a Chartered Engineer on this accredited degree.
This course is based at Highfield, Southampton.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.