About this course
Sustainable energy supply is one of the greatest challenges we face today. At Southampton, you'll learn to focus your engineering skills into cutting-edge technologies, such as wind turbines, solar cells and batteries. You'll study core mechanical engineering topics and explore how we store, use and distribute energy. You'll graduate with vital skills for environmental engineering and beyond.
Sustainable energy is a fascinating and growing area. This 4-year integrated master's in mechanical engineering focuses on the latest in energy technology, systems and processes, such as:
This degree provides the core topics you'll need to master mechanical engineering. It then gives you the advanced skills to design and test sustainable-energy technologies.
As part of this course you can:
examine the economics behind energy technology investments
develop your management skills
take a work placement to boost your academic performance and prepare for your career
use our design workshops and studios
showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
go on site visits to experience engineering in practice
You can take this course with an additional, year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code H3J7 for the Industrial Placement Year option.
We're a designated university for the Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme (DTUS).
This course is fully accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and offers a route to chartered status.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Our 4-year MEng Mechanical Engineering master’s degree is a pathway to chartered engineer status. Gain specialist knowledge and work for a year in industry.
- Mechanical Engineering / Acoustical Engineering
- On our Meng Mechanical Engineering and Acoustical Engineering master’s degree study subjects from reducing aircraft noise to optimising sound for music venues.
- Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Engineering
- We have offered aerospace engineering degrees since the 1930s. Join many graduates who have secured successful careers in the space industry or defence sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Automotive Engineering
- Prepare for a career in automotive electronic engineering with this master's. Specialise in race cars, propulsion, structural design and automotive electronics.
- Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering
- On our Meng Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering degree explore human factors in engineering with biological and medical healthcare technology.
- Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Management
- Gain technical skills, and learn how to manage process, people and finances. This degree will prepare you for a career in mechanical engineering management.
- Mechanical Engineering / Materials
- Become a Chartered Engineer with this MEng Mechanical and Materials Engineering degree. Explore material design and manufacture, and gain industry experience.
- Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronics
- Integrate mechanical and mechatronics engineering to create innovative products, from autonomous robots to self-driving cars. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Mechanical Engineering / Naval Engineering
- Apply your engineering knowledge to marine environments with a naval engineering degree. Design ships and maritime craft for the Royal Navy and private sector.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.