About this course
Sustainable energy supply is one of the greatest challenges we face today. At Southampton, you'll learn to focus your engineering skills into cutting-edge technologies, such as wind turbines, solar cells and batteries. You'll study core mechanical engineering topics and explore how we store, use and distribute energy. You'll graduate with vital skills for environmental engineering and beyond.
Sustainable energy is a fascinating and growing area. This 4-year integrated masters in Mechanical Engineering focuses on the latest in energy technology, systems and processes, such as:
This degree provides the core topics you'll need to master mechanical engineering. It then gives you the advanced skills to design and test sustainable-energy technologies.
As part of this course you can:
examine the economics behind energy technology investments
develop your management skills
take a work placement to boost your academic performance and prepare for your career
use our design workshops and studios
showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
go on site visits to experience engineering in practice
You can take this course with an additional, year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code H3J7 for the Industrial Placement Year option.
We're a designated university for the Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme (DTUS).
This course is fully accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and offers a route to chartered status.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Mechanical Engineering
- This 4-year degree puts you on the route to becoming a chartered engineer. Gain specialist knowledge and work experience with a year-long industry placement.
- Mechanical Engineering / Acoustical Engineering
- Study mechanical engineering and the positive and negative factors of acoustical engineering, from reducing aircraft noise to optimising sound for music venues.
- Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Engineering
- Southampton has offered aerospace degrees since the 1930s. Join our many graduates who have secured successful careers in the space industry or defence sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Automotive Engineering
- Prepare for a career as an engineer in the automotive sector. Specialise in areas that interest you, from race cars to automotive electronics.
- Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering
- Biomedical engineering is a fast-developing field. Explore human factors in engineering, alongside the biological and medical aspects of healthcare technology.
- Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Management
- Gain technical skills, and learn how to manage process, people and finances. This degree will prepare you for a career in the engineering sector and beyond.
- Mechanical Engineering / Materials
- The 4-year integrated MEng degree will prepare you to become a chartered engineer. Explore material design and manufacture and gain industry work experience.
- Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronics
- Learn how to integrate electrical and mechanical systems into innovative products, from autonomous robots to self-driving cars. Gain skills that are in demand.
- Mechanical Engineering / Naval Engineering
- Learn and apply your engineering knowledge to the marine environment. Design cutting-edge ships and other maritime craft for the Royal Navy and private sector.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.