About this course
Discover how automobiles are designed, built and tested. Learn the specialist science and engineering behind the industry, then design and create your own. You'll have the chance to specialise in areas of motor vehicle engineering that interest you, from race cars to vehicle electronics. This degree will prepare you for a career in automotive mechanical engineering.
This course provides a solid foundation in mechanical engineering and you'll learn the core principles of:
Then you can specialise in subjects, including composite engineering.
As part of this course you can:
use our range of engineering facilities and gain practical experience with our design workshops and studios.
get a solid introduction to relevant subjects such as mathematics and mechanics
take a work placement to boost your academic performance and career prospects
showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
study management modules to explore a variety of career paths
go on site visits to experience engineering in practice
You can also join our Formula Student team. You'll help design, build and race a car in competitions.
You can take this course with an additional year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code H3H3 for the Industrial Placement Year option.
We're a designated university for the Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme (DTUS).
This course is fully accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and offers a route to chartered status.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Our 4-year MEng Mechanical Engineering master’s degree is a pathway to chartered engineer status. Gain specialist knowledge and work for a year in industry.
- Mechanical Engineering / Acoustical Engineering
- On our Meng Mechanical Engineering and Acoustical Engineering master’s degree study subjects from reducing aircraft noise to optimising sound for music venues.
- Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Engineering
- We have offered aerospace engineering degrees since the 1930s. Join many graduates who have secured successful careers in the space industry or defence sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering
- On our Meng Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering degree explore human factors in engineering with biological and medical healthcare technology.
- Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Management
- Gain technical skills, and learn how to manage process, people and finances. This degree will prepare you for a career in mechanical engineering management.
- Mechanical Engineering / Materials
- Become a Chartered Engineer with this MEng Mechanical and Materials Engineering degree. Explore material design and manufacture, and gain industry experience.
- Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronics
- Integrate mechanical and mechatronics engineering to create innovative products, from autonomous robots to self-driving cars. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Mechanical Engineering / Naval Engineering
- Apply your engineering knowledge to marine environments with a naval engineering degree. Design ships and maritime craft for the Royal Navy and private sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Sustainable Energy Systems
- Gain in-depth training in renewable energy engineering, such as wind turbines, solar cells, batteries and fuel cells. Graduate with strong engineering skills.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.