About this course
Learn how to create smarter machines, from autonomous robots to self-driving cars. Using advanced mechanical, electrical and control engineering, you'll explore a range of innovative products and systems. The combined skills you'll learn will be highly sought-after within the engineering and manufacturing sectors.
Mechatronics is the combination of mechanics, electrical and control systems. We find it in devices such as:
complex construction equipment
This 4-year degree provides the core topics you'll need to master mechanical engineering. It then gives you the advanced skills to be able integrate electrical systems and mechanical devices.
As part of this course you can:
gain an in-depth understanding of sensors, instrumentation and signal processing for structural design
take a work placement to boost your academic performance and prepare for your career
explore the growing area of automation and robotics
use our design workshops and studios
showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
go on site visits to experience engineering in practice
You can take this course with an additional, year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code H3H2 for the Industrial Placement Year option.
We're a designated university for the Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme (DTUS).
This course is fully accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and offers a route to chartered status.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Mechanical Engineering
- This 4-year degree puts you on the route to becoming a chartered engineer. Gain specialist knowledge and work experience with a year-long industry placement.
- Mechanical Engineering / Acoustical Engineering
- Study mechanical engineering and the positive and negative factors of acoustical engineering, from reducing aircraft noise to optimising sound for music venues.
- Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Engineering
- Southampton has offered aerospace degrees since the 1930s. Join our many graduates who have secured successful careers in the space industry or defence sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Automotive Engineering
- Prepare for a career as an engineer in the automotive sector. Specialise in areas that interest you, from race cars to automotive electronics.
- Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering
- Biomedical engineering is a fast-developing field. Explore human factors in engineering, alongside the biological and medical aspects of healthcare technology.
- Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Management
- Gain technical skills, and learn how to manage process, people and finances. This degree will prepare you for a career in the engineering sector and beyond.
- Mechanical Engineering / Materials
- The 4-year integrated MEng degree will prepare you to become a chartered engineer. Explore material design and manufacture and gain industry work experience.
- Mechanical Engineering / Naval Engineering
- Learn and apply your engineering knowledge to the marine environment. Design cutting-edge ships and other maritime craft for the Royal Navy and private sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Sustainable Energy Systems
- Gain in-depth training in emerging energy technologies such as wind turbines, solar cells, batteries and fuel cells. Graduate with strong engineering skills.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.