About this course
Learn how to take a product from initial concept, to design and manufacture. Our 4-year master's in Mechanical Engineering with industry placement will put you on the path to becoming a chartered engineer. You'll learn about mechanical design, structures and materials, then select specialist topics to study. Project work throughout the degree provides the opportunity to apply your design skills to real-world problems.
This integrated master's lets you select a specialist theme pathway for years 3 and 4, or stay on in this generalised Mechanical Engineering theme. This general theme lets you take optional modules from the specialised courses in years 3 and 4.
You'll cover the essential principles of engineering, and learn about:
modelling and computing
In your third year you'll complete an individual research project and in year 4 you'll take part in a group design project. These projects are often linked to current research or topics that have practical relevance to industry.
As part of this course you can:
use our design workshops and studios
develop your design and computing skills
showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
apply your knowledge to your choice of specialist areas, from automobiles to mechatronics
go on site visits to experience engineering in practice
You can take this course with an additional year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code 30HH for the Industrial Placement Year option.
This course is fully accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and offers a route to chartered status.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Mechanical Engineering / Acoustical Engineering
- On our Meng Mechanical Engineering and Acoustical Engineering master’s degree study subjects from reducing aircraft noise to optimising sound for music venues.
- Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Engineering
- We have offered aerospace engineering degrees since the 1930s. Join many graduates who have secured successful careers in the space industry or defence sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Automotive Engineering
- Prepare for a career in automotive electronic engineering with this master's. Specialise in race cars, propulsion, structural design and automotive electronics.
- Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering
- On our Meng Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering degree explore human factors in engineering with biological and medical healthcare technology.
- Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Management
- Gain technical skills, and learn how to manage process, people and finances. This degree will prepare you for a career in mechanical engineering management.
- Mechanical Engineering / Materials
- Become a Chartered Engineer with this MEng Mechanical and Materials Engineering degree. Explore material design and manufacture, and gain industry experience.
- Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronics
- Integrate mechanical and mechatronics engineering to create innovative products, from autonomous robots to self-driving cars. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Mechanical Engineering / Naval Engineering
- Apply your engineering knowledge to marine environments with a naval engineering degree. Design ships and maritime craft for the Royal Navy and private sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Sustainable Energy Systems
- Gain in-depth training in renewable energy engineering, such as wind turbines, solar cells, batteries and fuel cells. Graduate with strong engineering skills.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.