About this course
Learn to take an engineering project from concept to completion. On this course, you'll study core mechanical engineering skills, but also discover the more technical topics. You'll specialise in managing people, processes and finances. This 4-year integrated Masters degree will prepare you for an exciting, rewarding and well-paid engineering career.
The first 2 years of this specialist course follow the same content to our degree in Mechanical Engineering. In the third and fourth years, you'll develop the technical skills to understand, design and manufacture new products. You'll then specialise in management skills, and learn to:
assess and manage risk
apply industrial law
manage resources and people
work on time and to a budget
As part of this course you can:
use our design workshops and studios
take a work placement to boost your academic performance and prepare for your career
showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
complete both an individual project and a final-year, group design project
go on site visits to experience engineering in practice
You can take this course with an additional, year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code HH31 for the Industrial Placement Year option.
We're a designated university for the Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme (DTUS).
This course is fully accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and offers a route to chartered status.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Mechanical Engineering
- This 4-year degree puts you on the route to becoming a chartered engineer. Gain specialist knowledge and work experience with a year-long industry placement.
- Mechanical Engineering / Acoustical Engineering
- Study mechanical engineering and the positive and negative factors of acoustical engineering, from reducing aircraft noise to optimising sound for music venues.
- Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Engineering
- Southampton has offered aerospace degrees since the 1930s. Join our many graduates who have secured successful careers in the space industry or defence sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Automotive Engineering
- Prepare for a career as an engineer in the automotive sector. Specialise in areas that interest you, from race cars to automotive electronics.
- Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering
- Biomedical engineering is a fast-developing field. Explore human factors in engineering, alongside the biological and medical aspects of healthcare technology.
- Mechanical Engineering / Materials
- The 4-year integrated MEng degree will prepare you to become a chartered engineer. Explore material design and manufacture and gain industry work experience.
- Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronics
- Learn how to integrate electrical and mechanical systems into innovative products, from autonomous robots to self-driving cars. Gain skills that are in demand.
- Mechanical Engineering / Naval Engineering
- Learn and apply your engineering knowledge to the marine environment. Design cutting-edge ships and other maritime craft for the Royal Navy and private sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Sustainable Energy Systems
- Gain in-depth training in emerging energy technologies such as wind turbines, solar cells, batteries and fuel cells. Graduate with strong engineering skills.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.