About this course
Learn to take an engineering project from concept to completion. On this course, you'll study core mechanical engineering skills, but also more technical topics associated with mechanical engineering management. You'll specialise in managing people, processes and finances. This 4-year integrated Masters degree will prepare you for an exciting, rewarding and well-paid engineering career.
This specialist course combines topics in mechanical engineering and management to give you a well-rounded experience. The first 2 years follow the same content to our degree in mechanical engineering. In the third and fourth years, you'll develop the technical skills to understand, design and manufacture new products. You'll then specialise in management skills, and learn to:
assess and manage risk
apply industrial law
manage resources and people
work on time and to a budget
As part of this course you can:
use our design workshops and studios
take a work placement to boost your academic performance and prepare for your career
showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
complete both an individual project and a final-year, group design project
go on site visits to experience engineering in practice
You can take this course with an additional, year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code HH31 for the Industrial Placement Year option.
We're a designated university for the Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme (DTUS).
This course is fully accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and offers a route to chartered status.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Our 4-year MEng Mechanical Engineering master’s degree is a pathway to chartered engineer status. Gain specialist knowledge and work for a year in industry.
- Mechanical Engineering / Acoustical Engineering
- On our Meng Mechanical Engineering and Acoustical Engineering master’s degree study subjects from reducing aircraft noise to optimising sound for music venues.
- Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Engineering
- We have offered aerospace engineering degrees since the 1930s. Join many graduates who have secured successful careers in the space industry or defence sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Automotive Engineering
- Prepare for a career in automotive electronic engineering with this master's. Specialise in race cars, propulsion, structural design and automotive electronics.
- Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering
- On our Meng Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering degree explore human factors in engineering with biological and medical healthcare technology.
- Mechanical Engineering / Materials
- Become a Chartered Engineer with this MEng Mechanical and Materials Engineering degree. Explore material design and manufacture, and gain industry experience.
- Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronics
- Integrate mechanical and mechatronics engineering to create innovative products, from autonomous robots to self-driving cars. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Mechanical Engineering / Naval Engineering
- Apply your engineering knowledge to marine environments with a naval engineering degree. Design ships and maritime craft for the Royal Navy and private sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Sustainable Energy Systems
- Gain in-depth training in renewable energy engineering, such as wind turbines, solar cells, batteries and fuel cells. Graduate with strong engineering skills.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.