This module will introduce three-dimensional remote sensing techniques and contemporary methods of deriving topographic information from three dimensional remote sensing and photogrammetric data.
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- List relevant areas and examples where 3D remote sensing data can be applied
- Discuss the different sources of 3D remote sensing data (stereo aerial photography and satellite data, terrestrial and airborne laser scanner)
- Illustrate the methods of deriving topographical information from aerial photographs and remote sensing imagery and how to analyse these data
- Describe the key concepts and terminology used in 3D remote sensing
The unit will be divided into two broad sections: Optical data and Laser scanning data
- Introduction to photogrammetry
- Air photo interpretation and Photo-mapping
- Digital photogrammetry
- Introduction to Stereo Satellite Products
- Orthorectification and DEM generation from satellite data
- Environmental application of digital topographic products
Software tools: ENVI, ERDAS and ArcGIS
Laser scanning data
- Principle of LIDAR remote sensing
- Acquisition and pre-processing of LIDAR data (Terrestrial and airborne)
- Processing of LIDAR data
- Selected applications of terrestrial and airborne LIDAR data
Software tools: ArcGIS and Cyclone
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
A combination of teaching and learning methods are employed to provide students with the necessary knowledge, structure and opportunities to achieve the learning outcomes. Lectures provide a sound knowledge base and structure for further independent study. Practical computing sessions provide students with opportunities to develop practical skills and to link theory with practice.
|Total study time||150|
Resources & Reading list
Shan, J, & Toth (2009). Topographic Laser Ranging And Scanning.Principles And Processing.
Summative assessment will be carried out by means of coursework . The coursework will relate to a series of computer based practical sessions in which students will undertake a set of topographic data analysis and processing operations.
Summative assessment description
Referral assessment description
Repeat type: Internal & External