Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the care of critically ill patients
- Critically appraise and evaluate policy, protocols, organisation and management of care for the critically ill patient and their families
- Critically analyse and evaluate the roles and responsibilities of bedside practitioners in the delivery of health care interventions to a broad range of critical care patients.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of current approaches to decision making in the care and management of the critically ill adult
- Apply an in depth and systematic knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathology to the techniques employed when caring for patients with critical care needs.
- Critically analyse and respond to contemporary issues in critical care medicine and consider how these impact on patient outcome and care
The syllabus reflects the broad nature of Intensive care practice. The syllabus is designed on the CCN3 Step 2 competencies and will enable you to develop your skills and practice in caring for the critically ill adult.
Physiology and related pathophysiology
- Sepsis and MOF
Psychological care of patients and their families
Management of the critically ill patient
- Ventilation strategies
- Cardiovascular management
- Renal support (including replacement therapies)
Assessment of the critically ill adult
- Respiratory (including auscultation and chest x-ray interpretation)
Using and generating evidence
Policies and guidance
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
The teaching methods may include:
small group work
independent guided study
|Total study time||250|
Resources & Reading list
Jarvis, Carolyn (2012). Physical examination and health assessment. Missouri: Elsevier.
Woodrow, Phillip (2019). Intensive care nursing. London: Routledge.
Designed to allow you to demonstrate your practical and theoretical knowledge in the care of the critically ill adult
This is how we’ll give you feedback as you are learning. It is not a formal test or exam.Essay proposal
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
Repeat type: Internal & External