Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Demonstrate critical awareness of the interface between organizations, stakeholders, staff, clients and the community in the context of clinical and corporate governance and within the wider political context of health and social care services
- Critically analye the purpose of governance with respect to clinical effectiveness, quality, risk management, patient safety, patient experience, and information
- Critically appraise strategies for the implementation and monitoring of clinical and corporate governance in single organizational settings, and when many organizations coordinate shared work
- Demonstrate a critical awareness of national policy development and implementation
- Why policy and governance?
- Relationship of policy to local governance
- Models of national and regional policy formation
- Policy implementation and governance in local settings
- Networked governance
- Governance: Clinical Effectiveness
- Governance: Patient Safety
- Governance: Patient Experience
- Governance: Information
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
A variety of teaching and learning approaches will be used during this module. These include lead lectures, seminars, case studies, guided reading and small group activities. Formative feedback from the tutor and student peers will be an important element of the learning process
|Guided independent study||220|
|Total study time||250|
Resources & Reading list
Institute of Medicine (U.S.). Roundtable on Value & Science-Driven Health Care. (2011). Patients charting the course [electronic resource] : citizen engagement and the learning health system : workshop summary. Washington: Institute of Medicine.
Robin Gauld. (2009). The New Health Policy. Maidenhead: McGraw-Hill International.
Ilona Kickbusch, ed. (2009). Policy Innovation for Health. London: Sage.
Evelyn J.S. Hovenga and Heather Grain , eds. (2013). Health Information Governance in a Digital Environment. IOS Press: Amsterdam (Netherlands).
This is how we’ll give you feedback as you are learning. It is not a formal test or exam.Class Exercise
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
Repeat type: Internal & External